retfr8flyr

Pellet Grill Questions

On 12/31/2018 at 7:54 PM, retfr8flyr said:

For now the $1199 is the regular price, they may be going to increase it but I don't know anything about that. Just for your info, I ended up getting a Traeger Timberline 1300 and not waiting until spring.

Just curious you were dead set on getting rectec 700 what made you change your mind ..also how do u like your timberline 1300

2 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

Just curious you were dead set on getting rectec 700 what made you change your mind ..also how do u like your timberline 1300

I ended up running into a deal on the Traeger that I couldn't pass up, that is why I couldn't wait for spring, the deal wouldn't have still been there. I absolutely love my new 1300. Yesterday I ran the grill at 400° for a little over 4 hrs and only used about 10lbs of pellets. This thing sips them, instead of gobbling them. Everything I have cooked on it, so far, has been exceptional and some of the best cooks I have done. I am so fortunate to have been able to get this grill, the Rec Tec seems like a good grill also but I don't think it could compare to my 1300.

On January 1, 2019 at 11:41 PM, retfr8flyr said:

a deal on the Traeger that I couldn't pass up, that is why I couldn't wait for spring, the deal wouldn't have still been there

Maybe. Who told you that the deal would not be there? I have been told that many times in a negotion and quite a few times the deal was indeed not there, it was better or the same, later on. If not from that outlet, somewhere else.

Learned that the hard way.

My Father preached to me,  Caveat Emptor. Took awhile for that to sink in.

Sales people don't like me. I have mostly gotten what I wanted at the sales deal equitable to both parties.

M.

10 hours ago, mike echo said:

Maybe. Who told you that the deal would not be there? I have been told that many times in a negotion and quite a few times the deal was indeed not there, it was better or the same, later on. If not from that outlet, somewhere else.

Learned that the hard way.

My Father preached to me,  Caveat Emptor. Took awhile for that to sink in.

Sales people don't like me. I have mostly gotten what I wanted at the sales deal equitable to both parties.

M.

This was an extra special deal.

On 1/2/2019 at 12:41 AM, retfr8flyr said:

I ended up running into a deal on the Traeger that I couldn't pass up, that is why I couldn't wait for spring, the deal wouldn't have still been there. I absolutely love my new 1300. Yesterday I ran the grill at 400° for a little over 4 hrs and only used about 10lbs of pellets. This thing sips them, instead of gobbling them. Everything I have cooked on it, so far, has been exceptional and some of the best cooks I have done. I am so fortunate to have been able to get this grill, the Rec Tec seems like a good grill also but I don't think it could compare to my 1300.

How dont you think that rectec cant compare to the 1300 i am just curious on your thoughts both treager and retec have good electronics

3 hours ago, Stile 88 said:

How dont you think that rectec cant compare to the 1300 i am just curious on your thoughts both treager and retec have good electronics

The Rec Tec is smaller internally then the 1300, actually the 850 holds about the same amount as the Bull. The big difference is in the height of the barrel, this is where the Timberline shines. The Bull only has one rack and the extra one you can get is not that practical. The 1300 has 3 racks, that are fully usable under lots of conditions. I just cooked 11lbs of chicken wings for New Years and didn't, even use all of the second rack. The other big factor, for me, is the Bull is not insulated and the 1300 is fully insulated with 1304 SS and the lid has a great seal, so all the smoke tumbles through out the chamber and then exits at the rear where it's supposed too. If you are never going to cook in cold temps, the insulation is not that big a deal, although is works all year round giving you a more stable cook in windy conditions, regardless of outside temps The App on both are good and the Bull has another probe. I have wireless probes already so that is not a factor for me. The customer service for both company's is great, from what I read about RT, I have personal experience with the Traeger and they are great. I also like having a local dealer instead of everything being online. 

Overall I just think the Traeger is a superior product. Like I said, if I hadn't run into this deal I would probably have gotten the Bull.

Yes i agree the rectec is smaller then the 1300 but the 850 is smaller then the bull after all its 850 its 22  wide the bull is 36 wide its like 1032 with the shelf but like u said the hieght is the big thing with timberline 

A lot of what i read on rectec is customers are saying they are grilling in frigid temps and not having any issues 

It couuld be all the ss on the grill 

Can we combine the treager with rectec lol just kidding 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:55 PM, Stile 88 said:

A lot of what i read on rectec is customers are saying they are grilling in frigid temps and not having any issues 

It couuld be all the ss on the grill 

it sounds like either brand would be a good choice, to be honest, a pellet grill is nothing more than a fire pot, auger, grate and metal.

i don’t have experience with another ‘brand,’ but when I compared ‘models’ the Timberline series beat the Pro series in terms of cooking space, insulating properties and technology.

i did & do like the double-walled insulation because I cook in cold weather and temp rebounds quickly when I open the lid FWIW.

If you’re considering making a purchase, I always find seeing it in person to be helpful (this is what helped me decide on a kamado joe)

23 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:

it sounds like either brand would be a good choice, to be honest, a pellet grill is nothing more than a fire pot, auger, grate and metal.

Nailed it!  Everything else you get is an accessory that you have to decide if you need or not.  If all you need is the above, you can get it for less than $500.  

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Nailed it!  Everything else you get is an accessory that you have to decide if you need or not.  If all you need is the above, you can get it for less than $500.  

Couldn’t agree more.  

Everyone develops their personal favorites for their own reasons & the many choices  (& range of price point) that we have available to us makes the hobby fun for us enthusiasts and easy for people to get in on the fun.

good stuff 

1 minute ago, freddyjbbq said:

Couldn’t agree more.  

Everyone develops their personal favorites for their own reasons & the many choices  (& range of price point) that we have available to us makes the hobby fun for us enthusiasts and easy for people to get in on the fun.

good stuff 

My old Traeger Lil' Texas elite is still going strong.  I is on permanent loan to my brother in law.  It's Traeger's very basic pellet grill and it still works like a champ. I bought it at a roadshow event in a mall in Atlanta about five years ago.  I re homed it when i got a higher end grill.  I think he still cooks on that grill more than I cook on my Timberline.   I think he has it fired up 3 or 4 nights a week.

9 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

My old Traeger Lil' Texas elite is still going strong.  I is on permanent loan to my brother in law.  It's Traeger's very basic pellet grill and it still works like a champ. I bought it at a roadshow event in a mall in Atlanta about five years ago.  I re homed it when i got a higher end grill.  I think he still cooks on that grill more than I cook on my Timberline.   I think he has it fired up 3 or 4 nights a week.

that is awesome.  i get a ton of use out of the ranger.  its basically a metal lunch box with a fire pot but its extremely convenient and cooks great!

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

My 070 (Lil’Tex) will be 11 years old this spring and the only thing I’ve replaced was one hot rod and upgraded the controller. It’s like a tank. I’d like to have a dollar for every pound of pellets that’s been through it.

1 hour ago, Sodaking27 said:

My 070 (Lil’Tex) will be 11 years old this spring and the only thing I’ve replaced was one hot rod and upgraded the controller. It’s like a tank. I’d like to have a dollar for every pound of pellets that’s been through it.

Did your original controller fail or did you get convinced that it was not accurate enough to cook?