ptmd

Low n slow chicken wings?

when going low and slow for chicken wings,  is the rule of them to use the heat deflector? also at what temp for how long?

I will likely through in some pecan wood, but not a lot.

I've had success with an almost reverse sear method with wings.  Load them up indirect and smoke for about an hour @250.  Take them off lower the grates and crank the heat.  Toss the wings in melted butter and oil mix and quick sear for about 1 minute per side to crisp up. Get all that smoky flavor and good crisp skin. 

16 hours ago, grill seeker said:

I've had success with an almost reverse sear method with wings.  Load them up indirect and smoke for about an hour @250.  Take them off lower the grates and crank the heat.  Toss the wings in melted butter and oil mix and quick sear for about 1 minute per side to crisp up. Get all that smoky flavor and good crisp skin. 

I'm looking for a way to do wings without sauce on the grill. I will have to give this a try.

Skin need not be rubbery on a smoked wing. Also, magic happens when chicken grease hits the coals, imo. A good rub (preferably homemade), and a finishing temp rise to 350 - 375° for 10 to 15 minutes crisps the skin sufficiently. As to how long to cook them- everyone likes their chicken cooked to a different level of doneness. If you are going to raise the temp at the end, anticipate it early enough that you don't overcook your grits, I mean, wings... :-D

Wings are one thing even the wife likes... planning pizza and wings for this Sunday. 

I do an hour at 350F with deflector, turning halfway. They are always "done" halfway, but not crisp. I then take them off to cool and get sauced while I reconfigure the grill for direct, high heat cooking. The cooled, sauced wings then get another 5 min/side at 500-600F on the dome, to set the sauce, add some color and finish crisping. This gives you lots of flexibility, too.  

Just be careful removing the deflectors. I use the cross-bracket, so the deflectors are easier to grab. You could probably do it divided, too, but that won't work for me (also cooking pizza). 

HAve fun,

Frank

thanx all 

almost everyone is suggesting to use the deflector - i was going to attempt it at 275 for 1hr... and then crank it up to get the skin crispy... i totally like the idea of mixing it in butter/oil/sauce after

success - not at getting temp consistent, but having the wings turn out well

temp started around 250 then got up to 330 by the end of 1.5 hrs... but damn good.  Once i took them off the grill, removed the heat deflector, the kamado cranked up to high heat fast... the wings were tossed in butter and bbq sauce to finish

i didnt make enough.

6 hours ago, Thunder77 said:

A little baking powder on the skin also works. A dry brine with them sitting uncovered in the fridge also works wonders.

Yeah, that works well and is recommended by ATK.

I only recommend the corn starch because I always forget to do the baking powder.

16 hours ago, paintflinger said:

Yeah, that works well and is recommended by ATK.

I only recommend the corn starch because I always forget to do the baking powder.

I didn't know about the cornstarch, so I learned something too!

Sorry, no pictures, but I did wings on the grill Sunday. I got the skin crisp. I let the wings sit uncovered in the refrigerator for four hours, sprinkled the wings on both sides with Stubb's Chicken spice rub. Grilled them at 325* with both deflectors in the low position.