JosephH

New Kamado Joe Big Joe - Gasket Damaged

Hello!

I just received a new Kamado Joe Big Joe II and noticed that the gasket was damaged.  I opened  a case with Kamado Joe and they are sending a replacement kit as well as a firebox panel (corner was chipped from one of the panels)

I have attached a picture of the gasket damage, and I have two questions.  Is it safe to use in that condition until the new gasket gets here? And I also noticed that there is a very nice felt lining that goes up under the band to which the gaskets are actually adhered.  Will this lining be ruined by removing and replacing the gasket?

A7CFBA54-41AF-412F-B51A-AE03EAFDE2DA.jpeg

2 hours ago, JosephH said:

Is it safe to use in that condition until the new gasket gets here?

Yes, it's safe but you might see some smoke leakage.  Keep in mind that some folks run their kamados commando.  :)  i.e., no gasket at all. Not recommended, but it's done.

And I also noticed that there is a very nice felt lining that goes up under the band to which the gaskets are actually adhered.  Will this lining be ruined by removing and replacing the gasket?

Nope. That band is attached to the outside of the bowl and dome and should have no impact on replacing the mesh gasket. The mesh gasket adheres to the top of the bowl and bottom of the dome, not the sides. 

Yes you can still use the joe as normal. My gasket was torn and firebox panel was chipped during transportation. It was a mistake asking for a new firebox because it's still in my garage wasting space. It'll probably never be used.

After 1 year with the ripped gasket, it still seals well.

On 9/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, JosephH said:

Hello!

I just received a new Kamado Joe Big Joe II and noticed that the gasket was damaged.  I opened  a case with Kamado Joe and they are sending a replacement kit as well as a firebox panel (corner was chipped from one of the panels)

I have attached a picture of the gasket damage, and I have two questions.  Is it safe to use in that condition until the new gasket gets here? And I also noticed that there is a very nice felt lining that goes up under the band to which the gaskets are actually adhered.  Will this lining be ruined by removing and replacing the gasket?

A7CFBA54-41AF-412F-B51A-AE03EAFDE2DA.jpeg

It’s a compression gasket.  None of the tears are bad enough to cause smoke to leak.  You’ll be perfectly fine. 

KJ could start using the blue cellophane  wrap they use to protect appliances from getting scratches to better protect them gaskets in transport.  

Those tears are being caused by friction.  The blue cellophane wrap would solve that problem.