JosephH

New Kamado Joe Big Joe - Gasket Damaged

Hello!

I just received a new Kamado Joe Big Joe II and noticed that the gasket was damaged.  I opened  a case with Kamado Joe and they are sending a replacement kit as well as a firebox panel (corner was chipped from one of the panels)

I have attached a picture of the gasket damage, and I have two questions.  Is it safe to use in that condition until the new gasket gets here? And I also noticed that there is a very nice felt lining that goes up under the band to which the gaskets are actually adhered.  Will this lining be ruined by removing and replacing the gasket?

A7CFBA54-41AF-412F-B51A-AE03EAFDE2DA.jpeg

2 hours ago, JosephH said:

Is it safe to use in that condition until the new gasket gets here?

Yes, it's safe but you might see some smoke leakage.  Keep in mind that some folks run their kamados commando.  :)  i.e., no gasket at all. Not recommended, but it's done.

And I also noticed that there is a very nice felt lining that goes up under the band to which the gaskets are actually adhered.  Will this lining be ruined by removing and replacing the gasket?

Nope. That band is attached to the outside of the bowl and dome and should have no impact on replacing the mesh gasket. The mesh gasket adheres to the top of the bowl and bottom of the dome, not the sides. 

Yes you can still use the joe as normal. My gasket was torn and firebox panel was chipped during transportation. It was a mistake asking for a new firebox because it's still in my garage wasting space. It'll probably never be used.

After 1 year with the ripped gasket, it still seals well.

Thank you both for your replies!  I was initially thinking of using some high heat caulk designed for smokers and BBQ’s to try and seal those tears, like this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-grade-adhesive-smoker-Silicon/dp/B01LRNK6K2

any thoughts on using something like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

On 9/13/2018 at 10:28 AM, JosephH said:

Hello!

I just received a new Kamado Joe Big Joe II and noticed that the gasket was damaged.  I opened  a case with Kamado Joe and they are sending a replacement kit as well as a firebox panel (corner was chipped from one of the panels)

I have attached a picture of the gasket damage, and I have two questions.  Is it safe to use in that condition until the new gasket gets here? And I also noticed that there is a very nice felt lining that goes up under the band to which the gaskets are actually adhered.  Will this lining be ruined by removing and replacing the gasket?

A7CFBA54-41AF-412F-B51A-AE03EAFDE2DA.jpeg

It’s a compression gasket.  None of the tears are bad enough to cause smoke to leak.  You’ll be perfectly fine. 

KJ could start using the blue cellophane  wrap they use to protect appliances from getting scratches to better protect them gaskets in transport.  

Those tears are being caused by friction.  The blue cellophane wrap would solve that problem.  

6 hours ago, Bartstop said:

My Big Joe showed up today with a damaged gasket. Funny thing is, nothing inside looked like it had been rubbing against it. I guess I’ll file a claim with KJ on Monday. 

04690EB5-468C-454F-9524-79981C91796C.jpeg

Just my 0.02. But that looks fine. I wouldn’t even bother replacing that. But, it’s up to you.

On 12/8/2018 at 5:26 AM, Bartstop said:

My Big Joe showed up today with a damaged gasket. Funny thing is, nothing inside looked like it had been rubbing against it. I guess I’ll file a claim with KJ on Monday. 

Don't replace it but you can get a second one from KJ to replace it some day. Probably take years for the seal to leak.

The ceramic edge show that the firebox panels were rubbing against it during shipping.

I'm sensitive about some things and not so much about others. My big Joe has doesn't sit straight in the stand with respect to the hinge. It's wrong (looks wise) but doesn't bother me much (cooks fine). A damaged seal might bother me. Ask yourself if you think it will bother you even a year from now and let that be your guide. Remember, you are the customer and an individual and you deserve to be happy.

Happy cooking

There is no doubt that this gasket is damaged.  I would definitely file the claim and get a new one.  Here's what's gonna happen:

You will get the new gasket.  You will have to decide whether or not to install it.  

If you choose to install it you will need to remove the existing gasket.

There is adhesive holding that gasket to the felt underneath it.  Ripping the old gasket off will likely pull some of that felt with it.  It will get stringy and messy probably.  You could try to soften the adhesive with something like acetone or goo gone or something else but I don't know what your results might be.  

If you are unhappy with the grill as a whole because of the gasket issue, load it up and take it back where you got it and ask for a refund or exchange.  

The problem shown here by @Bartstop is not one I would personally even think twice about.  There are others here who would obviously demand a new grill for something like that so you will just need to take your pick as to where you want to be with it and do it.