Sign in to follow this  
SmoovD

New MES just arrived

Probably a sacrilegious event but I have been wanting a low heat smoker for jerky and sausages and I found a great deal on a Masterbuilt digital electric unit. Couldn't say no. Will break it in tomorrow as I have some beef marinating for some jerky.  Maybe next week I will bust out the sausage stuffer and crank out some polska kielbasa.

I still have mine and I think you will enjoy yours.  It's actually a good combo with a kamado or any type of grill.  People talk about finishing cooks in the oven from time to time... well, the MES is excellent for that.  You can hold/rest cooked foods for a long time and of course you can smoke foods as well.  You can find pellet smoke trays that put out great thin smoke for hours and hours for both cold and hot smokes. There is a mailbox mod that works great.

I'll be waiting for reports on the jerky... I've never done it myself but a little inspiration might get me motivated :)

Enjoy

I had been using either the oven or a Big Chief smoker for jerky and sausage but was never thrilled with the results unless it was cool outside. Not a regular occurrence in Texas. Now I have to brush up on sausage smoking schedules to up my game.

Jerky is super simple. I use pre-made mixes and it takes the guessing out of recipes. Place the slabs on the racks and let them go until they are ready. MES should be able to handle the task well.

I’m a big fan of LEM’s seasoning kits. I also like to dabble in my own creations a bit but don’t trust them to be shelf stable. That’s not really an issue though because the stuff never stays around long enough to be concerned with spoilage!