Pigfqr

Kamado Joe gasket

Has anyone replaced just one of the gaskets with the Kamado Joe gasket?  I have been noticing a little smoke leaking out of the side of mine, so I thought that maybe the thicker Kamado Joe gasket might solve the issue.

Leaks after new gasket changes are normally the result of Dome alignment issues.  Especially if you’re using the older felt gaskets.  Use strong tie down straps to keep your hinge from popping up. (around the arms that lift the lid and base) 

losen the band holding your dome until the dome can move freely.   Make sure the rivet in the center of the front is lined-up with the rivet for the pin on the bottom band.  The dome should be flat and gasket should be making full contact (no gap) all away around the Dome and base.  

After you verify the dome is sitting on the base with no gaps, tighten the band and check the seal with a piece of paper or a business card all the way around. 

A leak can be caused  by the dome being out-of alignment by a 1/16 of an inch on one side. 

Try fixing your dome alignment first before you go gasket shopping. 

4 minutes ago, Pigfqr said:

That did the trick.  No smoke leaks now.  One side is still tighter than the other, but no leaks so I think it is good enough for government work.

Eventually when the felt wears out you’ll upgrade to the Fiberglass gaskets anyway.  You might as well get the mileage out of current gaskets.

yes you can use the KJ gasket. 

but as mentioned.. most of the time it ends up being dome alignment if your gaskets are showing no real signs of wear.  

I did the paper test on mine and it doesnt have the same "pressure" all around but seals up. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:51 AM, RRL2 said:

yes you can use the KJ gasket. 

but as mentioned.. most of the time it ends up being dome alignment if your gaskets are showing no real signs of wear.  

I did the paper test on mine and it doesnt have the same "pressure" all around but seals up. 

Same here.  Definitely more loose on one side vs. the other, but it does maintain a seal now.

you can also remove that little piston lid stopper at the front.  I've read of one person having an issue with that cause the lid to not seal (it was lifting the lid just enough)  simple test as its only held with on with 2 nuts/

4 hours ago, RRL2 said:

you can also remove that little piston lid stopper at the front.  I've read of one person having an issue with that cause the lid to not seal (it was lifting the lid just enough)  simple test as its only held with on with 2 nuts/

I am going to try the lid adjustment again.  I don't think I loosened the right thing.  If it doesn't seal at that point I will try removing the piston.

Have you tried a smoke test again  to see if it is still leaking at that point..... If it isn't I really wouldn't worry. Ceramic is not going to be perfectly flat unless the rims of the bowls are machined after firing. The thickness of the gasket should accommodate any variation 

Edited by ndg_2000

Double check make sure all your other bolts and nuts are tight as well when you try to re align it.

sounds obvious but easily over looked.

On 9/22/2018 at 3:49 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

Eventually when the felt wears out you’ll upgrade to the Fiberglass gaskets anyway.  You might as well get the mileage out of current gaskets.

I think this is what I want to do. The Kamado Joe has the gaskets that are like "springy" (definitely just made that word up). They are like metallic mesh and when you put the base down , the two gaskets compress significantly. I feel this would likely net a better seal than what I currently have. 

I did the hinge mod to mine where I drilled and upgraded the bolts in the summer, ever since I have difficulty getting a 'perfect' seal. I test by having a piece of paper in between the lid and the base when closed - at the front, its super tight, but at the back I can pull it out fairly easily. 

It cooks just fine, my concern is it takes forever to cool down - I'm unable to 'snuff' the fire. 

Can I ask what everyone reccomends for a fibreglass gasket upgrade? Maybe Santa could bring me some.