Pigfqr

Kamado Joe gasket

52 minutes ago, Bigdizzle said:

I think this is what I want to do. The Kamado Joe has the gaskets that are like "springy" (definitely just made that word up). They are like metallic mesh and when you put the base down , the two gaskets compress significantly. I feel this would likely net a better seal than what I currently have. 

I did the hinge mod to mine where I drilled and upgraded the bolts in the summer, ever since I have difficulty getting a 'perfect' seal. I test by having a piece of paper in between the lid and the base when closed - at the front, its super tight, but at the back I can pull it out fairly easily. 

It cooks just fine, my concern is it takes forever to cool down - I'm unable to 'snuff' the fire. 

Can I ask what everyone reccomends for a fibreglass gasket upgrade? Maybe Santa could bring me some. 

Why would you drill holes?   The Retro Hinge fits the back of older Joe’s with the current bolt holes. 

I should have been more specific - I dont have a KJ. I have a Pitboss K24 I got for a steal at the end of the year from Costco.  And like many others, it had a horrendously misaligned lid, which can be resolved by drilling the hinge - from the factory, the hing bolts go through three holes , one of which is smaller than the other two, which made keeping the bolts tight a PIA.  Maybe hard to explain over a forum, but its a pretty popular thing to do. 

2 hours ago, Bigdizzle said:

I should have been more specific - I dont have a KJ. I have a Pitboss K24 I got for a steal at the end of the year from Costco.  And like many others, it had a horrendously misaligned lid, which can be resolved by drilling the hinge - from the factory, the hing bolts go through three holes , one of which is smaller than the other two, which made keeping the bolts tight a PIA.  Maybe hard to explain over a forum, but its a pretty popular thing to do. 

I have the pb24 and have had alignment issues that were solved by thread locking the nuts so they did not loosen off.. Which bolt hole  are you drilling out and what does this achieve you have me interested. 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:02 AM, LargeRedJoe said:

Pigfqr, dumb question, but are you talking about a Kamado Joe Classic? Your profile mentions a Pit Boss but not a KJ.  

I have a pit boss.  Was thinking of switching the gasket, at least one of them to the kamado Joe gasket.  I think I can re-align my lid to take care of the issue though.