Sign in to follow this  
Icepaq

Tired of pork and chicken

I want something else to smoke. Preferably nothing that takes more than eight hours. I, my family, is burnt out from pork and poultry. After reading for more than fifteen minutes, my brain says “no more”. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I’m sorry if this has been asked but I just can’t read through all the awesome posts this forum has. Just for the record, would like something different from a steak as well. Never tried a reverse sear and don’t want to this weekend. Thanks all! BTW, Akorn ceramic 6020 is my three week old baby. 

Reincarnate your pork or chicken into a smoked green chile.  Use a rub with a tex mex flair, put an hour or two of smoke to it and then chunk it up and let it braise with roasted green chiles, onions, garlic, tomatillos, and a little chicken stock if needed.  I like to use a lean cut of pork when I do this - like a pork loin.  The braise makes it tender and you avoid all the fat that is in a shoulder.

If you can get a tri tip, it's a terrific cut of beef to smoke. I've only done it twice, but it was delicious.

I also really enjoyed the beef back ribs I smoked for Labor Day. Better than the pork spare ribs I've made.

Don't be afraid to use the Akorn for things other than smoking. It makes a really good grill and oven. I don't like smoking everything I make. Switch it up with some pizza, or bread, or a stew or roast or something.

By the way, how are you liking your ceramic Akorn? I got mine this spring and it's been really good to me. One or two other users have had some quality problems, though.

Salmon is one of the favorites in this household.  Shrimp and lobster are delicious as well.  I also highly recommend tri tip, as they are super common and popular (and cheap!) around where I live.  Pretty much every home BBQ you go to, odds are, you'll be eating tri tip. 

I'm also a huge fan of kamado pizza. Smoked Mac n cheese....... Lots of possibilities. 

Let's sum this up. Go to the challenge forum. Find a challange for what you basically want to eat. Cruise through those entries. If you can't find inspiration in there, rip up your BBQ card, sell the Akorn and retreat to the kitchen in shame - LOL - j/k but really there are like 5 years of monthly challanges (with an average of 10 or more entries per month.) Take the time to check it out. It'll take you the next 10 years to get through all the cooks you're going to want to try. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Let's sum this up. Go to the challenge forum. Find a challange for what you basically want to eat. Cruise through those entries. If you can't find inspiration in there, rip up your BBQ card, sell the Akorn and retreat to the kitchen in shame - LOL - j/k but really there are like 5 years of monthly challanges (with an average of 10 or more entries per month.) Take the time to check it out. It'll take you the next 10 years to get through all the cooks you're going to want to try. 

So I guess Guinea Pig is next for him.