Sign in to follow this  
Smokey Sam

First dry brine spatchcock chicken

I cooked my first dry brine spatchcock chicken. I dry bined it with just Kosher salt uncovered over night in the refrigerator.  The next day sprayed it with a olive oil cooking spray. Made a dry rub ( without salt)  and  lightly coated it . Also made up a Alabama white BBQ sauce . Cooked the bird between 375-380 with direct heat and took it off the heat with temp of the breast at 160. I'm totally a convert, the breast was "very" moist and the hint of herbs was just right. Yesterday was a little windy so while I was taking the final temp the wind whip up the flames and I got a little extra benefit of having a little char on the expose meat on the bottom!!!! The Alabama sauce complemented the chicken. So we great meal with the last of corn on cob in our neck of the woods, smashed red potatoes  and a chicken that was delicious and would defiantly have again.  

spatchcock chicken 1IMG_2187.jpg

spatchcock chicken 2 IMG_2188.jpg

spatchcock chicken 3 IMG_2189.jpg

The salt helps to retain the moisture  in the meat. When I was cutting the chicken all of the meat was very moist!!! To be honest I did not fine any real dry meat except some on the bottom that had the char, but even that was not super dry. I'm thinking from now on even if I was going to BBQ a whole chicken I will spatchcock it and dry brine it.

2 hours ago, SmoovD said:

Nice bird. Poultry and pork almost always get brined, be it wet or dry. Firm but moist and tender meat and crisp skin is a winner.

The thing I like about the dry brine is not to have to put a large container of liquid and chicken in the refrigerator .  

On 9/23/2018 at 8:08 PM, Smokey Sam said:

The thing I like about the dry brine is not to have to put a large container of liquid and chicken in the refrigerator .  

A single bird is not worth a wet brine, but when I'm doing multiple birds, I use a small cooler. Just keep some solid ice floating over the birds so you know you're still cold. 

Have fun,

Frank