Jump to content

Charcoal Addict

Kick ash basket warping.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Where the design tweak is needed is on the D/C rack.  It needs handles that make it easier to lift it out.

 

It needs handles somewhere to make it easier to lift and shake.  The biggest advantage of the basket being attached is the D&C is being able to easily shake out the basket during low and slows to reduce ash build-up.  

 

You have to lift the whole D&C assembly out during a low and slow to shake out ash with the KAB.  With the KJ basket you can give the D&C a small jiggle to get rid of any excessive ash piled on top of the lump. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we are not anywhere near on the same page as to how this thing is used.  I am guessing you want to take the whole basket out and shake it over a bucket or something.  I shake mine into the ash pan in the grill and then empty the ash pan.  it's the least complicated and least messy way to do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I think we are not anywhere near on the same page as to how this thing is used.  I am guessing you want to take the whole basket out and shake it over a bucket or something.  I shake mine into the ash pan in the grill and then empty the ash pan.  it's the least complicated and least messy way to do it.

 

 

I do both.  I ditched the stainless ash catcher after both of my bases cracked.  I use a Shop Vac to clean out the Big Joe’s. 

 

I shake it out inside the Joe or I take it out carfully and shake it over the garbage can.  It depends how windy it is outside and how full the basket is with lump.  

 

If the basket is relatively full of lump and it’s not windy, I’ll pull theKAB & shake it out in the garbage bag to save in ShopVac bags. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

 

I do both.  I ditched the stainless ash catcher after both of my bases cracked.  I use a Shop Vac to clean out the Big Joe’s. 

 

I shake it out inside the Joe or I take it out carfully and shake it over the garbage can.  It depends how windy it is outside and how full the basket is with lump.  

 

If the basket is relatively full of lump and it’s not windy, I’ll pull theKAB & shake it out in the garbage bag to save in ShopVac bags. 

 

 

How can the ash catcher cause the base to crack? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, glenn3 said:

 

 

How can the ash catcher cause the base to crack? 

 

 

I don’t know for sure.  I can only hypotesize.  I spoke with KJ support to figure what I could do to prevent my bases from cracking in the future.  The ash drawer was badly warping under the firebox.  The drawers would get stuck under the firebox.  Ash was also being trapped under the ash drawer holder trapping moisture at the bottom of the Joe. 

 

I ditched the Ash drawer in favor of using a ShopVac.   The warping tray was cracking fireboxes.  The Ridgid wet/dry vac does a better job getting rid of the ash anyway.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it extremely difficult to believe that the ash catcher caused anything to crack. Besides isn’t the cure for a cracked base the new multi piece base?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Phatman said:

I find it extremely difficult to believe that the ash catcher caused anything to crack. Besides isn’t the cure for a cracked base the new multi piece base?  

 

I don’t think the ash pan was directly responsible for cracking the bases.  I believe the ash & moisture trapped under the ash pan might have caused the cracks in the base. 

 

That’s a theory at best.  

 

I ditched the ash pans because they were constantly warping & digging into the opening for the lower vent in the firebox.

 

I was sick & tired of having to lightly hammer the ash drawer with a rubber mallet to flatten it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2018 at 3:00 PM, John Setzler said:

Wait a sec... when have you ever needed to shake ash off your charcoal DURING a cook?  I have NEVER EVER had a need to do that and I have done upwards of 1000 cooks on kamado grills.

  

 

I also frequently need to shake the basket mid cook.   On a long cook, when the charcoal starts to run low, the fire will start to go out.  If I only need a bit more time, shaking the ash off the charcoal will reinvigorate the fire enough to finish the cook and eliminate the need for adding more charcoal. 


I have found that charcoal consumption is strongly correlated with the amount of water that is evaporated/boiled away during the cook.   Cooking 20lbs of pork will use up about 2x as much charcoal as 10lbs.  Adding a water  to the drip pan will increase the charcoal consumption even more than additional food.   Wrapping the meat in foil reduces the evaporation and decreases the amount of charcoal used.

 

This effect on charcoal consumption is perhaps even larger than cook duration,  I suspect that people who cannot understand how you could ever run out of charcoal do not put nearly as much food/water in the grill. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, acr said:

 


I have found that charcoal consumption is strongly correlated with the amount of water that is evaporated/boiled away during the cook.   Cooking 20lbs of pork will use up about 2x as much charcoal as 10lbs. 

 

 

 

I have never had results anywhere close to that.  I can run my classic 16 to 18 hours on full load of lump without any issues no matter how much meat I have on the grill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

 

I have never had results anywhere close to that.  I can run my classic 16 to 18 hours on full load of lump without any issues no matter how much meat I have on the grill.

 

Me neither.  I find the cold or winter weather has more of an impact on Charcoal consumption than anything else.

 

The issue here would be too much ash reducing air flow.  That problem should be mitigated by using a KAB or KJ basket without the cast iron grate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

 

Me neither.  I find the cold or winter weather has more of an impact on Charcoal consumption than anything else.

 

The issue here would be too much ash reducing air flow.  That problem should be mitigated by using a KAB or KJ basket without the cast iron grate. 

 

 

Have you ever been able to do a long cook successfully without a wire basket using the stock charcoal grate?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

 

Have you ever been able to do a long cook successfully without a wire basket using the stock charcoal grate?

 

 

All the time.  I use the warped & damaged KAB’s with the CI grate without issues. 

 

Once in 7-years, I’ve had one fire go out because of a ash from a lemon batch of Fogo.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...