John Setzler

How the Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket Works

1 hour ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

I don’t think anything other than the small adjustments I did is really needed.

Anything else would be just more weight and something else in the way. As I said my deflectors are rocksolid now. Jmo

2828DECA-60F8-4499-8764-3E2090CAF67E.jpeg

It looks like you bent the pins inward by a quarter of an inch.

46 minutes ago, Never L8 4 chow said:

Correct, all of them.

As  I said in my first post concerning the basket, but you can’t bend them in to far, are they won’t line up correctly with the D&C.

Some people are bound to bend them too far if they’re doing this on their own.   In Canada, we can’t even get a hold of a KJ basket if you tried.  No one has an ETA for

them.  The Vancouver warehouse is waiting for a factory shipment.  

10 hours ago, T Yelta said:

I always thought that the deflectors when placed on the D&C ring were a bit too aggressive ... I don't mind having them sit a little bit higher...

I agree with what you're thinking, but I like a range of settings. Low as I can (aggressive) for low temps, to sitting on the star rack for high temperatures. Some folks pizza set-ups raise them to grate level, using spacers to elevate a pizza stone above the deflector. Lots of options....

HAve fun,

Frank, who just put pizza dough in the refrigerator to age. 

9 hours ago, fbov said:

I agree with what you're thinking, but I like a range of settings. Low as I can (aggressive) for low temps, to sitting on the star rack for high temperatures. Some folks pizza set-ups raise them to grate level, using spacers to elevate a pizza stone above the deflector. Lots of options....

HAve fun,

Frank, who just put pizza dough in the refrigerator to age. 

The ceramic on the older firebox (when the D&C was first released) was thinner and left a larger gap around the edge of the deflectors.  The new firebox is much thicker which shrunk the gap around the deflectors by a 1/4 of an inch.  By raising the deflectors half 1/2 inch you’re restoring the gap to where it used to be before all of the design changes. 

It’s just part of the fun as the design of the Joes keep evolving over time. 

1 hour ago, Garmoni said:

I think I recall seeing a firebox divider that you could use on the Big Joe for smaller cooks and basically let you load charcoal into one half.  Is that a thing and if so, would it work with the basket?   

One comes with grill.  One also comes for use with the charcoal basket. They are two different items but they both give you that functionality.

Newbie question - I can see how the basket works, but my question is, what are the advantages of a basket, I get the air flow bit. Do people use the basket all the time, or are there cooks where the grate works better. if the basket is an improvement for everything, why is a basket not standard instead of the cast grate. Just trying to decide whether I need one :)

23 minutes ago, casbar777 said:

Newbie question - I can see how the basket works, but my question is, what are the advantages of a basket, I get the air flow bit. Do people use the basket all the time, or are there cooks where the grate works better. if the basket is an improvement for everything, why is a basket not standard instead of the cast grate. Just trying to decide whether I need one :)

The only advantage I get from the basket is the ease of charcoal management.  I have zero waste charcoal. I shake the basket and let the ash fall through to the catch pan and remove the ash from the grill and add some new charcoal as needed.  This is what the basket is designed for.  Another advantage I find is that the basket makes it easy to remove hot charcoal from the grill if you want to quickly reconfigure your grill for a lower temperature cook.  I have done this on multiple occasions.  I use the basket all the time.  I have removed my stock charcoal grates from the grill and have not put them back in.

I haven't seen it mentioned but the KJ ash basket can be a "great" place to sear... anybody see what I did there??? :-D Here's what I mean;  If you have access to a roughly 17 inch or even larger "cooking grate" then you can set that inside of the KJ basket directly on the coals. You could cook on that grate in the low position.

grateinbasket.thumb.jpg.663173549e86c975363ca82565d4d1bf.jpg

I do not cook on the particular rusty grate pictured (it's not a cooking grate), but hopefully it gets the point across.

The other thing you can do with a grate is raise the level of charcoal without having to fill the basket completely.  To do this, just put the charcoal on top of the grate pictured instead of under it and it will elevate the charcoal closer to the regular cooking surfaces.  This grate would not have to be a cooking grate. You might get improved air flow from this configuration as well.

I believe the Komado Kamado's have a grate that let's you cook down low to sear.

In short, the advantage of using a grate in this position in the basket is that you can enjoy high heat cooks and maybe save a little lump.

Happy cooking

Nearly at the point of pulling the trigger on a KJ basket. I get the points John made about charcoal management. But does the basket help at all with temp management, on slow cooks I use a fan and temp controller unit to maintain temp and that seems to keep the temp within 8 degs pretty well, but will having a basket mean more stable temps. I am not dissatisfied with the performance of my KJ at the moment, but always open for things that can enhance the performance. I also saw a video John did reviewing the Kick Ash basket and he lit the charcoal from underneath the basket, is that the way to light the charcoal in a basket, or do you just light as normal from the top :)

5 hours ago, casbar777 said:

Nearly at the point of pulling the trigger on a KJ basket. I get the points John made about charcoal management. But does the basket help at all with temp management, on slow cooks I use a fan and temp controller unit to maintain temp and that seems to keep the temp within 8 degs pretty well, but will having a basket mean more stable temps. I am not dissatisfied with the performance of my KJ at the moment, but always open for things that can enhance the performance. I also saw a video John did reviewing the Kick Ash basket and he lit the charcoal from underneath the basket, is that the way to light the charcoal in a basket, or do you just light as normal from the top :)

I have a KAB and am able to maintain temperatures anywhere from 200 to 600 just by using the vents on the grill. I light the charcoal from the top.

4 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

I have a KAB and am able to maintain temperatures anywhere from 200 to 600 just by using the vents on the grill. I light the charcoal from the top.

Thanks, but did you find any difference in temp control with the basket as opposed to without and just a grate. That is the bit I'm struggling with, I get the bit about its easier to manage the charcoal.

2 minutes ago, casbar777 said:

Thanks, but did you find any difference in temp control with the basket as opposed to without and just a grate. That is the bit I'm struggling with, I get the bit about its easier to manage the charcoal.

No difference that I recall. The KAB was one of the first purchases I made for my grill. The problem that I had was starting too big a fire the first time I tried to do baby back ribs. I talked to a representative at a local road show and he told me how to start a smaller fire.