How the Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket Works

John Setzler

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I went ahead a bought a basket for my KJ Classic II. First thing I noticed was the basket is a tight fit on the DC rack, I had to wriggle it to get it to sit right, so it looks like the hooks are bent inwards slightly. But it all went together ok. Having read about the heat deflectors not sitting very well on the top of the hooks, I found mine seem to be fine. So maybe the hooks are now being made bent in more. But in any case, very pleased with the basket.

First cook with the basket and very pleased. Lifted the basket out and gave it a good shake to get all the ash out. Now last question I promise :) Do you guys who use a basket take all the charcoal out and put new on the bottom before you light it again, or do you just put new on top and light, so older charcoal on the bottom. Before I got the basket, I was taking all the charcoal out after each cook, cleaning all the ask out and then putting new on the bottom and then putting the burnt stuff on the top. Or doesn't it make a difference?

51 minutes ago, casbar777 said:

First cook with the basket and very pleased. Lifted the basket out and gave it a good shake to get all the ash out. Now last question I promise :) Do you guys who use a basket take all the charcoal out and put new on the bottom before you light it again, or do you just put new on top and light, so older charcoal on the bottom. Before I got the basket, I was taking all the charcoal out after each cook, cleaning all the ask out and then putting new on the bottom and then putting the burnt stuff on the top. Or doesn't it make a difference?

The whole objective of these baskets is to minimize/eliminate hands on time with charcoal.  I find no need at all to rearrange any charcoal.  I just add charcoal as needed. If I was gonna take the charcoal out, it makes it mostly pointless to even have the basket :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought the charcoal basket for my Big Joe last year and felt it needed to be modified to be able to sit the deflectors on securely and in the lower position, was really happy with it having done so (cut off the hooks) but I did think that in general it wasn't quite sized correctly.  I received a new Classic 3 yesterday which has the basket included and it fits in perfectly with absolutely no need for modifications.  Not sure if the basket fits better with a classic than the Big Joe or if gen 2 is a little different to get 3.

P.S.  Already cooked up steaks on the Classic 3 and supper happy with it, can't say if it is any better than the gen 2 but much more appropriately sized for day to day cooks for my wife, son and I than the Big Joe 2 (which I still love).  Looking forward to testing out the SloRoller with a Boston Butt this weekend.

Will have to update my profile picture...

• 9 months later...

Since the Kamado Joe charcoal basket hangs from the DC rack, how do you add additional wood chunks during the cook?

With the old system, you could just lift up the whole DC rack and drop in a chunk.

Because of the hooks, it seems you would have to dismantle the whole setup to get access.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, Bayarea_Al said:

Since the Kamado Joe charcoal basket hangs from the DC rack, how do you add additional wood chunks during the cook?

With the old system, you could just lift up the whole DC rack and drop in a chunk.

Because of the hooks, it seems you would have to dismantle the whole setup to get access.

Personally I have never had to add fuel or wood chunks during a cook before, I strategically place wood chunks that last the whole cook but if you need to add just twist the D&C rack off the basket and left

On 4/25/2020 at 5:24 PM, Bayarea_Al said:

The basket doesn't have to hang from the hooks. It is designed to sit on the firebox nicely too. You can then lift the D&C like before.

• 2 weeks later...

That divider is used to limit all burning fuel to one side of the bowl. What you do after that is up to your imagination. Here's one. 

2 minutes ago, fbov said:

Did a complex cook yesterday. I divided the fire bowl so I had hot and cool sides. Started low-n-slow at 225F for a couple hours smoking ribs and a culotte on the cool side, then 40 minutes of corn-in-husk on the hot side. Direct heat did the high-temp work. Then I cranked up the fire and dropped the grate to the lower position to sear the beef , then raised the grates to top level and set the vents for 250F to smoke some jerky... after a couple hours to cool down. 

I don't mention what I did with heat deflectors. One stayed in place over the "cold" side of the firebox. The other was:
- placed vertically for the initial smoking period, so the food was completely shielded from the fire. 
- removed so the second grate fits and I can cook the corn, and sear the beef

- placed in the lowest position, opposite it's mate, to start dropping the temp for the jerky. 

Use your imagination! And less fuel for smaller cooks (it's intended purpose, I think). 

Stay well,

Frank

So if I put charcoal on only one side.  Then put the deflector on the other side.  Obviously I can cook direct over the non-deflector side.  But on the deflector side would the heat be any different than if the divider was removed from the basket?  Seems like the ceramic cooking all the way around would make it so it didn't matter if the charcoal was on one side or both on the deflector side?  

Thanks,

15 hours ago, HorsebackCO said:

Seems like the ceramic cooking all the way around would make it so it didn't matter if the charcoal was on one side or both...?  

The idea is that you do both at once, bake indirect on one side while grilling direct on the other. 

The hard part is making sure the indirect side is really indirect. That's why I place the second deflector vertically; it's the only way I've found to get the entire half-grate indirect. If the food "sees" the fire, it's direct cooking. 

Stay well,

Frank