John Setzler

How the Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket Works

Ok I went ahead a bought a basket for my KJ Classic II. First thing I noticed was the basket is a tight fit on the DC rack, I had to wriggle it to get it to sit right, so it looks like the hooks are bent inwards slightly. But it all went together ok. Having read about the heat deflectors not sitting very well on the top of the hooks, I found mine seem to be fine. So maybe the hooks are now being made bent in more. But in any case, very pleased with the basket.

First cook with the basket and very pleased. Lifted the basket out and gave it a good shake to get all the ash out. Now last question I promise :) Do you guys who use a basket take all the charcoal out and put new on the bottom before you light it again, or do you just put new on top and light, so older charcoal on the bottom. Before I got the basket, I was taking all the charcoal out after each cook, cleaning all the ask out and then putting new on the bottom and then putting the burnt stuff on the top. Or doesn't it make a difference?

51 minutes ago, casbar777 said:

First cook with the basket and very pleased. Lifted the basket out and gave it a good shake to get all the ash out. Now last question I promise :) Do you guys who use a basket take all the charcoal out and put new on the bottom before you light it again, or do you just put new on top and light, so older charcoal on the bottom. Before I got the basket, I was taking all the charcoal out after each cook, cleaning all the ask out and then putting new on the bottom and then putting the burnt stuff on the top. Or doesn't it make a difference?

The whole objective of these baskets is to minimize/eliminate hands on time with charcoal.  I find no need at all to rearrange any charcoal.  I just add charcoal as needed. If I was gonna take the charcoal out, it makes it mostly pointless to even have the basket :)

I bought the charcoal basket for my Big Joe last year and felt it needed to be modified to be able to sit the deflectors on securely and in the lower position, was really happy with it having done so (cut off the hooks) but I did think that in general it wasn't quite sized correctly.  I received a new Classic 3 yesterday which has the basket included and it fits in perfectly with absolutely no need for modifications.  Not sure if the basket fits better with a classic than the Big Joe or if gen 2 is a little different to get 3.

P.S.  Already cooked up steaks on the Classic 3 and supper happy with it, can't say if it is any better than the gen 2 but much more appropriately sized for day to day cooks for my wife, son and I than the Big Joe 2 (which I still love).  Looking forward to testing out the SloRoller with a Boston Butt this weekend.

Will have to update my profile picture...