How the Kamado Joe Charcoal Basket Works

John Setzler

On 5/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, fbov said:

The idea is that you do both at once, bake indirect on one side while grilling direct on the other. 

The hard part is making sure the indirect side is really indirect. That's why I place the second deflector vertically; it's the only way I've found to get the entire half-grate indirect. If the food "sees" the fire, it's direct cooking. 

Stay well,

Frank

I am curious, does this type of cooking happen? I don't think I have ever cooked with direct and indirect heat at the same time on a grill. For a kitchen range, I totally get having and using different types of burners, but with grilling, I always cook things one way and when I finish, start cooking another way.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jack DeSoye said:

The video shows a black ring to which the basket hooks attach. I did not get this device with the basket I just received and it is not part of the grill. Where does it come from?

The only two pieces in use here are the basket and the divide and conquer rack.  

On 8/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, Jack DeSoye said:

The video shows a black ring to which the basket hooks attach. I did not get this device with the basket I just received and it is not part of the grill. Where does it come from?

If your rack does not look like the one below then you may not have the Flexible Cooking Rack. The old racks were a simple triangle in shape. 

31VWZhU0lPL_x700.jpg?v=1523394549

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/30/2020 at 11:23 AM, Jack DeSoye said:

the ring starts out shiny like the grill and everything else. then gets coated in ash and soot.

the ring comes with your kamado joe, its what the grill and deflector plates sit on. the hooks are at the bottom of that.

On 5/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, Ricorocks said:

Regarding placement of, 'Heat Deflectors' if using 'Charcoal Basket', deflectors should rest on the basket NOT the DC.

Like this?????  Correct?????????  Classic II

x.jpg

yes. the heat deflectors sit on those hooks.