riverfish

OUT DOOR SECURITY CAMS

My truck got broken into this morning so I am now in Security camera purchase mode. I could have swore that I locked my truck up last night,  the D bags got all my credit cards and ATM out of my wallet but thankfully left my licence. I got everything canceled and as of right now there were no transactions thankfully!!

Have any of ya'all installed your own security cams any suggestions on set up ............wired ............wireless?  I have lived in the area I am at for 15 years now it is the most boring neighborhood on the edge of nothing but farm land. My property is now going to be locked up tighter than Fort Knox!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I used NEST wireless cameras indoors and out with Phone app tracks movement and has night vision . Paid $50 per year for 7day video rotation for a year. Every 7day one day falls off video history . Your phone dings when activity occurs 

I don't know anything about the systems but I have talked to a few sheriff's about this. The general concensus was - if you expect to use it in a court of law get the very best HD camera you can afford otherwise you'll never get a conviction. 

Just my 1¢

Look up Amcrest Cameras.  They are very good cameras offering many storage options including FTP/cloud options that cost you nothing.  The ones I use have 2 way communication, motion detection, auto notification etc and no monthly or annual fee.  They offer indoor and outdoor cameras and a fantastic app.

Worst case you save the data to a drive that is up in your attic, best case you have cloud storage but it's up to you.  If you want you can have snap shots sent to you via email or even just check in and take pics on demand.  Up at our cabin I just use wildlife cams to capture who comes and goes.  (get the plate #'s)

Also, stop leaving wallets and the like in your car or truck!  I also have a dashcam that when parked records "on motion".  Sometimes it's their word against your video.  I put one of those in every car/truck and have already used it to make some jerk walk away after a minor wreck where he claimed I was at fault until I explained I had it on video.  He forgot about jerk mode and became nice after that.

I would argue against Armcrest cameras personally.   They have a history of serious security flaws that make them trivial to hack.

I have a few Reolink cameras.  They are well built, offer POE , wired and wireless models in indoor or outdoor and up to 4K resolutions.     If you are technical and can host your own NVR, then DIY is the way to go.  Otherwise, for a minimal yearly cost, I would suggest the Nest product line.

I manage over 400 camera here where I work, and to be honest, 90% of the time we have an incident, they don't help catch anyone or provide any useful evidence.  A ball cap and hoodie defeats the best of them.  We get the odd person who is oblivious to the camera and not taking any measures to cover their face, but does not happen too often.  We have cameras specifically set up to capture license plates as vehicles drive in/off our properties which have help more than actually getting a face.

So, carefully consider how much you are willing to spend, vs the 10% chance you might get anything useful.  They can be helpful for insurance claims and other issues as well though.

Might be better off to put up "fake" cameras, and take measures like not leaving valuable in vehicles, better quality doors/locks, motion sensor lights/alarms etc.

8 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

get a dog with a vicious bark. You'll get a companion and a deterrent

Honestly you are correct.  We have had Dobermans for nearly 2 decades, currently 2, a red bitch and a black sire.  We have signs up to warn strangers.  I can tell you that the general public are terrified of doberman pinschers.  Must be the "Magnum PI" years :) .  A dog with a big bark can go a long way but won't help with cars in driveways unless you have a gate and fence that includes your driveway.

We have had issues with home owners insurance and even pet boarding houses over our breed of choice (all resolved) but know that these dogs are loyal family pets that will love you.   We call them "velcro dogs".

Nothing. No camera is going to help you if you don't change YOU.

Dont leave your wallet or valuables in your car if you park outside over night. I have neighbors who every six months or so someone will leave an iPad on a seat or a wallet and then they will go FB postal that someone broke into their vehicle. They will post some grainy video from ring and most time their stuff is never recovered. If they do end up finding the drug user their stuff is long gone.

Until you change that no camera system is going to help.

• Motion sensor lights up everywhere
  • Keep things locked unless in use
  • Keep things put away
  • Even if you don't have dogs put "beware of dog signs" up
  • Install a 3G security system that includes door sensors, glass break detectors and motion sensors with sirens of at least 140db inside and out.
  • Don't keep valuables in the master bedroom, it's the first place they will look.
  • Place bait in the house, something that looks valuable so they grab it and run
    • Jewelry box full of fake stuff
    • Broken game consoles
    • Old dead cell phones
    • Old wallet full of expired gift cards

If you are a single lady living alone go to the thrift store and purchase a size 16 mens work boots.  Put mud on them, let them dry and set them neatly by the front door.