Sralexan32

Big Joe vs classic

I’m looking to get a kJ. I plan on getting a jr for small cook, but am struggling to choose between the classic and big joe. I currently have a Daniel Boone pellet grill. I grill 3-4 night a week, do 2-3 8-9lbs pork butts every other week, 18-20 lbs turkeys and hams for the holidays, and 5-6 full packer briskets a year. We also entertain a lot. It’s myself, wife and 3 daughters 4 yrs and under. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

If the budget allows it, I would go with the JR and BJ.   I've seen pictures here and other places that with a classic, you have to bend a full packer up in the middle in order for it to fit.   I have JR and BJ and use the JR about 98% of the time, but it's just me and the woman that's shared my bed for 45 years.  But about 8-9 times a year, the BJ is marginal for capacity.  Others will probably have other opinions too.

I have a classic and cook every weekend. I normal cook for 4 adults and 2 kids. I can fit two pork butts on at a time with some room to spare. I use a KJ rib rack when I do ribs which holds 5 racks. Also cooked a small turkey and ham at the same time during the holidays. I cook a full packer once a month but you will have to prop it up during the first few hours until it cooks down in size. I actually use my rib rack for this. A classic works fine for me but if you think you'll need to cook more than that at a time I would go with the Big Joe.

I like the size of the classic for my needs.  Family of four.  I cook on it every other day, and like the charcoal consumption.  My neighbor has an XL - the size is nice, but he is envious of how much more efficient the classic is for normal size cooks.  I also have a 22" Weber smokey mountain if I ever need to do several slabs of ribs, a full packer or 6 pork butts at time.  But honestly, in terms of briskets, I prefer to the flat.  If I did have a full packer, I would probably separate the point and flat prior to cooking if I was on the classic. 

6 hours ago, Sralexan32 said:

I’m looking to get a kJ. I plan on getting a jr for small cook, but am struggling to choose between the classic and big joe. I currently have a Daniel Boone pellet grill. I grill 3-4 night a week, do 2-3 8-9lbs pork butts every other week, 18-20 lbs turkeys and hams for the holidays, and 5-6 full packer briskets a year. We also entertain a lot. It’s myself, wife and 3 daughters 4 yrs and under. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Don't buy a junior, it's fun for a while but not enough grill for you.

If your planning on using your kamado for mostly grilling, then buy a classic.

If you're planning on using your kamado for mostly smoking (which you're not cuz you have a pellet which is a better tool for the job) then buy a big joe

Unless you are purchasing the JR for portability reasons, I would purchase the BJ and configure the charcoal divider and one heat deflector for small cooks & then use the whole capacity for your big cooks.  As for a full packer, I too, separate the point from the flat.  Otherwise, It's too difficult to control the cook on the flat.

I have an 8.4 lb point smoking right now.  It's 6 hours into an 9 hour smoke at 225 degrees.

Brisket.jpg

If you can afford the extra cost, you will not be disappointed in the Big Joe.  Dividing the firebox is an easy way to save on charcoal for small cooks, but no doubt it uses a little more.  The extra space for what you describe as normally cooking will make it much less of a headache.  You could make a Classic work just fine, but when the menu is large the extra space will be worth it.  Like JB58 said, you cannot streach ceramic.  The wider BJ also opens up more possibilties for the Joetisserie if you choose to get one.

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG