Sign in to follow this  
Smoke33

Gas Insert

Looking for feedback from anyone who uses the gas insert and your thoughts.

if you have no interest in switching why?

The biggest deterrent for me is the high cost of the gas insert. The price is crazy high. 

21 minutes ago, Smoke33 said:

By the lack of responses I will assume nobody uses the gas insert. How come you choose not to?

It really defeats the purpose of a Kamado to turn it into a gas grill.  Most of love smoke and real wood.  

People love smoke too much, that might be the reason you’re not getting many replies.

19 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It really defeats the purpose of a Kamado to turn it into a gas grill.  Most of love smoke and real wood.  

People love smoke too much, that might be the reason you’re not getting many replies.

I can understand that. I was thinking for those times you are in a hurry and don’t have the tim to go through getting things going. It would give me a reading for me to get rid of my gas Weber.

The biggest deterrent for me is that hefty price tag.

1 hour ago, Smoke33 said:

I can understand that. I was thinking for those times you are in a hurry and don’t have the tim to go through getting things going. It would give me a reading for me to get rid of my gas Weber.

The biggest deterrent for me is that hefty price tag.

Yeah, It’s the price of a mid-level gas grill.

After reading several objective reviews. I think, unless space is an issue, I would keep the Weber, and avoid the hassle. Even if you ditch the Weber you’ll still have more  bulky accessories to deal with and store.

The wife and I both on our own businesses. Monday through Thursday we don’t get into the kitchen until about 7 o’clock, if not later. A gas Weber can be a wonderful thing when you’re in a hurry.

Nothing wrong with having more than one grill.

I'm new to Vision so a little help is appreciated.  Picked her up @ Sams the other day for $249 to replace my tired/worn out Akorn.  It's a B series diamond cut black.  Decided to add the lava stone and the gas insert since it was such a good deal and they too were on end of season clearance as was the grill.

Mistake #1= Lava stone and holder is included in the gas insert package.  I did not realize that, so will return one, not a big deal

Mistake #2= Thinking the Vision was so similar to the Akorn I'd have no learning curve.  Put on some burgers and dogs for a small get together to break in the V and proceeded to burn the first batch to a crisp.  Even the dog walked away from them, next batches were better, but it is a very different grill.

Observation= Did 2 test "smokes" to check for leaks and get the feel for damper setting/temperature results.  Inside is now charged and smoked.  When I did a small test cook with the gas insert, the meat picked up the smokey flavor from inside the V almost as if it were a normal charcoal cook, not quite as strong, but still very nice.

I truly feel that for the late weekday cooks the gas will be my go to, and with weekend smokes the residual flavor might carry me through the week when time is short.  I'll keep y'all posted.  Any suggestions for a newbie are appreciated.  This thing is a beast compared to my Akorn.

I learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C. I found it to be a truly fine grill, however, it always leaked a bit from the ash drawer assembly. However this did not in anyway affect it's ability to hold temp and cook like a champ. I did nothing to address the small leaks, and just cooked on it. That's the best advice I can give you. My Vision taught me how to maintain temp, and cooked thousands of amazing meals. Just learn how it works and it will treat you well. No modifications necessary.  IMO It is not at all important to have an absolutely  air tight kamado, yet people are fixated on modifications to do just that. Makes no sense to me. I live in Northern AZ and we experience fire restrictions each year. During the restrictions I can't use any cooking device that produces ash. Because of this, I truly wish I had kept my Vision, as I would install the gas insert during the times I could not use lump charcoal. After a couple of years cooking on the Vision Pro C,  I got in to wanting a traditional slide vent style, and bought a BGE. Looking back if I had originally purchased a slide vent Vision B, I would probably still be cooking on it. Enjoy your Vision, if you listen and learn from it, it will make you a great kamado cook and please your family with wonderful tasty meals. Happy Cooking. 

I'm curious how much time you really save with the gas? I've found that when I use the chimney with a good starter like weber wax cubes, i can get a good 350-400 fire going in about 20-30 mins. I actually use my old weber gas as the platform for the chimney and then dump right on top of the lump into the Vision B. The chimney coals then get the vision up pretty quickly as well. Saving 10-20 mins isn't worth the hassle or expense. But that's just me.. I've learned to manage the time after having the B for over a year now. To each his own.. if it works for you, then good for you and enjoy!! I have really gotten addicted to the charcoal taste though.