retfr8flyr

New Hinge

That is with the adjustment all the way to the top of the rod. Any further and the screw would come off.  When I first put the hinge on the top was flat with the bottom but as soon as I opened it for the first time this is the way it stays, with the adjustment screw all the way out. The first time I opened it, without looking at the hinge and adjusted the screw until the lid would stay open. I shut it and looked at the results, I was shocked to see the gap at the rear. It's not as bad with the screw cranked down but the instructions say not to turn it more then 3 revolutions, plus the more you turn it the further forward it moves. You can see the scorch marks on the rear of the top, from the the poor adjustment of the old hinge, to make the top stay up the front was about 1/4 inch ahead of the bottom and there was a gap at the rear. I finally adjusted the old hinge back until the top and bottom were flush again and used a prop rod when cooking. I guess I will have to continue that method. We'll see what KJ says tomorrow.

13 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

That is with the adjustment all the way to the top of the rod. Any further and the screw would come off.  When I first put the hinge on the top was flat with the bottom but as soon as I opened it for the first time this is the way it stays, with the adjustment screw all the way out. The first time I opened it, without looking at the hinge and adjusted the screw until the lid would stay open. I shut it and looked at the results, I was shocked to see the gap at the rear. It's not as bad with the screw cranked down but the instructions say not to turn it more then 3 revolutions, plus the more you turn it the further forward it moves. You can see the scorch marks on the rear of the top, from the the poor adjustment of the old hinge, to make the top stay up the front was about 1/4 inch ahead of the bottom and there was a gap at the rear. I finally adjusted the old hinge back until the top and bottom were flush again and used a prop rod when cooking. I guess I will have to continue that method. We'll see what KJ says tomorrow.

It’s possible you might need a newer base to fit the retro hinge correctly.  The gasket wrapped lip on the newer bases are 3/8 wider allowing the hinge bands to sit a wee-bit lower on the newer bases made after 2015.  

Looking at your pictures it appears the hinge is not fully closed, You should of installed it with the space and nut on the spring, That keeps the hinge in the fully  closed position, Did you keep it on when installing?

Hinge Install.jpg

Hinge Install 2.jpg

The hinge was fully closed when I attached it, wouldn't be able to attache it unless it was, as soon as I removed the spacer from the spring, this is the position it goes too. I called KJ and they told me to send in the pics, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I already removed the new spring and put the old one back on, as I wanted to do a cook. I wish the old one was as easy to install as this new one, it's a real pain to do. I must have some sort of abnormal BJ. My Joetisserie wouldn't fit when I got it, the new replacement fire box doesn't really fit right and now this hinge problem. I am 73 years old and I don't enjoy this much work. I think I will just use a prop rod instead of going through this again. I may be getting a pellet grill sooner than I wanted.

8 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

The hinge was fully closed when I attached it, wouldn't be able to attache it unless it was, as soon as I removed the spacer from the spring, this is the position it goes too. I called KJ and they told me to send in the pics, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I already removed the new spring and put the old one back on, as I wanted to do a cook. I wish the old one was as easy to install as this new one, it's a real pain to do. I must have some sort of abnormal BJ. My Joetisserie wouldn't fit when I got it, the new replacement fire box doesn't really fit right and now this hinge problem. I am 73 years old and I don't enjoy this much work. I think I will just use a prop rod instead of going through this again. I may be getting a pellet grill sooner than I wanted.

You might end up needing to get a new base to fix the problem.  Fingers crossed that isn’t the case.  The newer bases allow the lower band to sit 3/8 lower on the rim of the base.  That would be more than enough to eliminate the gap with the new hinge. 

The other option would be asking KJ support to send you replacement springs for your old hinge.  The springs are (stretched) worn out on your old hinge, that’s the only reason why the old hinge is not working right now.  

Well heard back from KJ and their answer is a new fiberglass gasket. They re sending me one at no cost, so that is great service but why didn't they send me one to begin with, if they knew it would be required with this new hinge. Right now I am kind of fed up with my BJ, reinstalling the original hinge was such a pain, I don't really want to mess with anything BJ related for a while. I will take the new hinge and the gasket, when it gets here, store them and just wait until the band new gasket, that I just installed, burns up. Then I will tackle trying to install the new gasket and hinge.

50 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

Well heard back from KJ and their answer is a new fiberglass gasket. They re sending me one at no cost, so that is great service but why didn't they send me one to begin with, if they knew it would be required with this new hinge. Right now I am kind of fed up with my BJ, reinstalling the original hinge was such a pain, I don't really want to mess with anything BJ related for a while. I will take the new hinge and the gasket, when it gets here, store them and just wait until the band new gasket, that I just installed, burns up. Then I will tackle trying to install the new gasket and hinge.

I’m just surprised they didn’t just send you springs for the old hinge.  It would’ve been an easier fix.  

Maybe the camera lens is making the gap look bigger.  I’m pretty confident the gap in the back is too big for the new gaskets to fix.  The Fiberglass gasket won’t seal without some pressure. The gap between the bare dome and the bare base shouldn’t exceed more than 3/8 of inch at most with no gakset installed. 

I can crank the spring down and reduce the gap to the point that I think the new gasket would work. I am just pissed I went to all that work and aggravation when, if they had sent me the new gasket, I would be done with it now. Hell I would have paid for the gasket, if they had just said I would need it. I must have had that hinge off 3, or 4, times trying to adjust the bands and make it fit, thinking I was doing something wrong. That isn't easy by yourself. Like I said I am just going to use and enjoy the grill until I either get fed up with the prop rod, or burn up the new gasket.

I looked at the springs in the old hinge and how you could replace them.  Unless there isn't as much pressure on them as it looks like. I would hate to try and replace them, without a small spring compressor, that would fit in there.

3 minutes ago, retfr8flyr said:

I can crank the spring down and reduce the gap to the point that I think the new gasket would work. I am just pissed I went to all that work and aggravation when, if they had sent me the new gasket, I would be done with it now. Hell I would have paid for the gasket, if they had just said I would need it. I must have had that hinge off 3, or 4, times trying to adjust the bands and make it fit, thinking I was doing something wrong. That isn't easy by yourself. Like I said I am just going to use and enjoy the grill until I either get fed up with the prop rod, or burn up the new gasket.

I looked at the springs in the old hinge and how you could replace them.  Unless there isn't as much pressure on them as it looks like. I would hate to try and replace them, without a small spring compressor, that would fit in there.

The old springs come out easy enough if you take the bolts out.  

The problem with the lid is either caused by a stretched spring or warping of the silver compression washer that connected the spring with the bolt. 

13 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

The new Fiberglass gaskets will help with fitting your Joetisserie with the new retro hinge.  The brand new thicker felt gaskets are more than twice as thick as the old felt gaskets and they don’t compress. 

The Fiberglass gaskets are actually much thinner than the new super thick felt gaskets when the lid is closed.  That’ll make it much easier to fit your Joetisserie. 

On 10/2/2018 at 9:46 PM, retfr8flyr said:

It's not you!

My late 2014 grill sounds real similar to yours.

It's been through 2 of the original hinges and while the Joetisserie does fit it causes the hinge to bind at the back.

My 2nd replacement hinge failed in July and i waited until the end of Sept for the replacement and thought they'd sent me the wrong part.

After confirming with KJ it was correct i fitted the new hinge and all seemed fine, nice tight seal all around. Then i did a 400F cook and at the end noticed smoke pouring from the back of the grill. I assumed the hinge and/or the bands had moved during the cook.

Interestingly if i take the tension from the spring, using the transit bushing the lid is still nice and tight all around but when removed, even with the minimum tension needed to hold the dome open the gap appears. I sent KJ a picture and they've sent me the mesh gasket.

3 hours ago, Hotblack Desiato said:

It's not you!

My late 2014 grill sounds real similar to yours.

It's been through 2 of the original hinges and while the Joetisserie does fit it causes the hinge to bind at the back.

My 2nd replacement hinge failed in July and i waited until the end of Sept for the replacement and thought they'd sent me the wrong part.

After confirming with KJ it was correct i fitted the new hinge and all seemed fine, nice tight seal all around. Then i did a 400F cook and at the end noticed smoke pouring from the back of the grill. I assumed the hinge and/or the bands had moved during the cook.

Interestingly if i take the tension from the spring, using the transit bushing the lid is still nice and tight all around but when removed, even with the minimum tension needed to hold the dome open the gap appears. I sent KJ a picture and they've sent me the mesh gasket.

The new Retro version of the airlift requires the new Fiberglass gaskets.  There will always be a tiny gap in the back without it.   

51 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

The new Retro version of the airlift requires the new Fiberglass gaskets.  There will always be a tiny gap in the back without it.   

Yes i've reach the same conclusion, i just spent an hour or so adjusting and shimming to make sure everything about as good as it can get. I can reduce the gap to the point it's hard to see but it's not tight against a dollar bill. As per retfr8 it might be an idea if KJ sent the gasket with the hinge.

On 10/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, retfr8flyr said:

My retro Hinge arrived today.   I’ll have to the stainless insert in my table to make it fit right.  I’m still waiting for new bands.  Hopefully those are on the way so I can get my 2nd Big Joe back together. 

97DEAE64-98BE-42CC-AB85-42DC38C1B822.jpeg

Finally got some time to fit the fibreglass gaskets yesterday and it seems to have fixed the leakage issue at the rear of the grill. In fact i had to re-level the dome as the gasket was binding a little at the back from where i'd tried to make the felt gaskets work.

Fitting was pretty easy. I used a 1/16th bead of permatex copper then ran the gasket around on the 3M backing adhesive. Waited an hour then brought the grill to around 350 for a couple of hours with the transit bolt refitted to allow the dome's weight to press everything into place.

One word of caution i pre-cut both base and dome gaskets to the same length after test fitting to the base of the grill but the top came up an inch short. I plugged the gap with an off-cut. Looks ugly but appears to be holding just fine.

Cutting the gasket is about the hardest bit of the job.