retfr8flyr

New Hinge

So helping a friend of mine with a 2016 Big Joe Kamado Joe with replacement hinge. What we have learned is a lot of what is posted above, the replacement hinge looks a lot like the new hinge on grills 2017 and newer, however, the hinge is not identical and will not hold the lid partially open like the new hinge will, but will hold the lid up a lot better than the old style springs. Yes, you do need the new fiberglass gasket to get a good seal. The one photo above shows the hinge not in a perfect vertical orientation, the bolts on the inside of the grill need to be tightened, open the grill lid all the way an push back slightly to push the spring in perfect vertical orientation and tighten bolts on the inside of hinge, both sides, basically holds the metal pieces together, otherwise it will not seal in the rear and will have a large overbite. Your old hinge bolts will not be long enough and you will need new hardware which is the same but longer in length. Do all of this and your grill will be as good as the newer KJs with the minor exception that the hinge is not fully counterbalanced and will not hold dome partially open, but either fully open or closed. My hats off to KJ and their customer service. 

Gator Griller, 

Glad to have you with us. Please stop by the introduction section and leave a post so our members will know who you  are and what your cooking on, and such. KJ does make a fine grill, and service it well. Happy Cooking. 

A quick question!  I cracked my firebowl on my last cook (almost 3 years of cooking) so at the same time I asked for the replacement retrofit hinge.  I am hoping that I get it, on the invoice, this was the part number:  BJ-MBH24W

Can anyone verify that is the new (semi)Air Lift hinge?  

I do have the new gasket on hand and I REALLY appreciate all the information that everyone has put in this thread.  Springtime will bring a mostly rebuilt Joe for me.

1 hour ago, phatmax said:

A quick question!  I cracked my firebowl on my last cook (almost 3 years of cooking) so at the same time I asked for the replacement retrofit hinge.  I am hoping that I get it, on the invoice, this was the part number:  BJ-MBH24W

I do have the new gasket on hand and I REALLY appreciate all the information that everyone has put in this thread.  Springtime will bring a mostly rebuilt Joe for me.

The retrofit hinge is really a airlift hinge with a shorter counterbalance rod.  It can’t keep the lid up past 3/4 closed. 

It’s likely you’ll have to get the hinge from a local dealer.  KJ doesn’t sell them from support unless you don’t have a local dealer in your area.

21 hours ago, phatmax said:

I am hoping that I get it, on the invoice, this was the part number:  BJ-MBH24W

Yes when i got the updated hinge the invoice showed the part number as BJ-MBH24W and the description was Big Joe Metal Hinge Assembly (Warranty Revision)

On 2/10/2019 at 9:48 AM, Hotblack Desiato said:

Yes when i got the updated hinge the invoice showed the part number as BJ-MBH24W and the description was Big Joe Metal Hinge Assembly (Warranty Revision)

Awesome news! and I just saw my tracking shows it and the firebowl coming tomorrow!

Was your hinge the new one?  Just got an invoice with the same part number for warranty replacement because the bearing on my old one broke and am hoping to have the new hinge!  Don't want to wait two weeks to find out!

Also did they send a fiberglass gasket with the new hinge? 

My BJ has been out of commission since the end of December because of a cracked top.  They sent me two new domes, one cracked in shipping and I just got around to changing the other one when the two bearings on right side of hinge broke apart.  They say they are shipping new hinge in two weeks, if I need to ask about fiberglass gasket, I should now!

The one great thing about the new hinge is being able to put the bands on first and the hinge on after.

I’ve filled a whole shelf full of swear jars trying to remount the old hinge back onto the Big Joe.  The old hinge has no wiggle room.  You have to install the old hinge with the bands pre-attached.  

The weight of the old hinge made it very hard to keep the bands even.  The new hinge is a Breeze by comparison. 

That's an understatement. After repeatedly installing the new hinge, attempting to get it to work with the old gaskets, my bands were so messed up I had use some C clamps to get the old hinge back on.

2 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

That's an understatement. After repeatedly installing the new hinge, attempting to get it to work with the old gaskets, my bands were so messed up I had use some C clamps to get the old hinge back on.

You definitely have to have the new gaskets.  Some people might have to modify their bands by removing the pin on back of the lower band.

KJ kept changing the design of the base on the Big Joes every year up to 2017.  Those regular changes to the base makes the install harder on some Big Joe Models. 

I had the exact problem. Need to put washers on the hinge bolts but they are not long enough. What size bolts did you end up buying?

50 minutes ago, txrocks said:

I had the exact problem. Need to put washers on the hinge bolts but they are not long enough. What size bolts did you end up buying?

KJ has new bolts you can order from support that are more than long enough.  They sent me crazy long bolts for my replacement base.

They dont have them in stock now. Since the grill is now sealing with the new gasket( the fiberglass one is nice, thanks KJ) they consider the grill is in proper working order. But I'm worried about the lid alignment and the tilt of the hinge. 

One of the hinge nuts from the lid came off the bolt today when I'm opening the lid. Those nuts had just one or two threads to bite due to the new hinges thickness. Anyone know how to get the replacement bolts? Home depot does not have anything close to it. Im attaching a pic.

20190404_174333.jpg

I am towards the end of the process of installing the retrofit hinge.  This was quite more difficult then I anticipated... and I wish I would've found this thread sooner as I am slowly resolving the same issues that others have posted.

1st Step:  Open warranty claim with KJ.  Send pictures.  They know the issue and quickly send out a new retrofit spring.  Next issue:  In removing the old spring somehow the old bolts got stripped.   

2nd Step:  Reply to warranty that I need to bolts.  Again, send pictures.  The new bolts are stainless and appear to be more durable.  Next issue:  lid is no longer aligned with the base and the back of the lid is no longer aligned with the back.

3rd and current step:  Reply to warranty with alignment and seal issue.  Again, send pictures.  :)  They state that they are aware of this issue and as long as it is somewhat connected the issue will be resolved with a fiberglass seal.  Currently in the mail.

I am hopeful this will be the final step of the process... regardless I now have the skills to assemble and reassemble down to mere minutes.  KJ warranty crew have been awesome in their quick responses... it just makes me think that some of this back and forth could've been avoided.