daninpd

Blackened Catfish with Seafood Dirty Rice

This cook starts with the story of the first time I had blackened redfish at Paul Prudhomme's K-Pauls in New Orleans about 30 years ago.  I was amazed at the flavors and the juicy fish inside that blackened crust.  About 3 years later, on a business trip to Portland, OR, my wife and I arrived just after Paul Prudhomme had spent a month cooking at a Portland restaurant at the behest of the local seafood promotion board.  I saw it in the paper when we arrived and said "We have to eat there".  Got to the restaurant and found the place pumped and electrified about Cajun cooking after Chef Paul's flavor injection into their food.  One of their specials that night was Blackened Sturgeon which I ordered and was astounded at the treatment of a fresh local fish with blackening and those flavors.  So blackened fish has been in my toolbox ever since and I have designed all of my kitchens to have a 3500 cfm extraction hood to handle the smoke.  Getting a Joe made life easier because the smoke stays outside.  There is a lot of smoke if you're doing this right.

So the menu Sunday night was Blackened Catfish using Paul Prudhommes's recipe and his Seafood Dirty Rice which is the next recipe in "Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen".  Starting the meal was Food Network's Geoffrey Zakarian converting Caesar Salad into finger-food, piling dressing, shaved Parmesan and croutons onto a whole Romaine leaf, so you can just pass them around.  And his dressing includes anchovies and you don't want to leave those out even if you think you don't like anchovies.  It ain't fish, it's Umami.  As my wife said "That's a flavor bomb".

The salad:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/geoffrey-zakarian/caesar-salad-recipe-2041542

The Blackened Spice and method:  http://labellecuisine.com/Archives/fish/Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish.htm

The Seafood Dirty Rice:  http://labellecuisine.com/archives/seafood/Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Dirty Rice.htm

DMP_1580.JPG

DMP_1579.JPG

DMP_1587.JPG

DMP_1589.JPG

DMP_1590.JPG

DMP_1593.JPG

DMP_1630.JPG

DMP_1578.JPG

DMP_1643.JPG

DMP_1655.JPG

DMP_1661.JPG

DMP_1659.JPG

2 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

wow... fantastic.  i would really like to try this.  any idea how hot you had that cast iron

I would guess about 800-900.  I need to get a infrared thermometer to check things like that.  The seasoning on the CI comes out just fine after a high heat cook like that.  Leave it in your Kamado for the whole cool down.  Next day about 15 paper towels puts it better than ever.

Edited by daninpd
wrong key

8 hours ago, daninpd said:

I would guess about 800-900.  I need to get a infrared thermometer to check things like that.  The seasoning on the CI comes out just fine after a high heat cook like that.  Leave it in your Kamado for the whole cool down.  Next day about 15 paper towels puts it better than ever.

Thanks... appreciate the info.  I was not expecting that high of temp.  I look forward to trying it.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:31 PM, Bgosnell151 said:

i would really like to try this.  any idea how hot you had that cast iron

I probably need to explain further because I never even looked at the dome thermometer,  I kept the dome closed with the pan on and all controls open for about 10 minutes and when I opened the lid the seasoning on the CI was smoking.  I left the dome open and waited until the seasoning on the CI turned to white ash and then waited about 5 minutes more.  That's when the fish went in.  That pan was over a full load of lump for about 20 minutes. 

On 9/28/2018 at 12:11 AM, daninpd said:

So blackened fish has been in my toolbox ever since and I have designed all of my kitchens to have a 3500 cfm extraction hood to handle the smoke.

Awesome cook but I want to more about this. Do you have a second fan pumping air into the kitchen? 3500 cfm would bend my walls in without a positive return.

We have a very well-sealed newer house, and the performance of our vent hood without a door or window open is not good. This is a continued flashpoint at our house so I would be interested to know how you did this.