Super Dave

Big Green Egg and strong winds

Hi everyone,

I'm almost 50 and realized I've been working too hard and not enjoying life enough.  I plan to get a large BGE as a gift to myself.  

I live on Kaneohe Bay....across the mountain from Honolulu.  We often have pretty stiff trade winds and it's not unusual to have 15 to 20 mph winds.  Over the years I've had my gas grills blow out even with the lid closed.   How much of a problem will it be to get a fire started in stiff winds?  It seems like the BGE is pretty sealed up so I'm assuming it won't be too much of an issue once the fire is going.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

Bay View.jpg

K-bay.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

Shouldn't be an issue. You basically lite the fire down in the BGE, after a couple of minutes you close the dome and work the vents. 

Cooking in a Kamado in really high wind works but you might get some temperature fluctions when doing a low-n-slow cook but it'll still work. 

12 hours ago, landscaper said:

Dam Dave.....Sucks to be you! :-D

Sometimes it does.  It's kind of weird but the beauty becomes normal.  It's not like I wake up on vacation.   Like all of us...I've paid my dues and I'm just trying to do my best.

I was born in the swamp in Louisiana and somehow made Hawaii my home.  I'm not sure exactly how or why but so far it's all worked out.  

Friday nights I drink a little to help me come down from the self induced stress of the week.  So, forgive me if I'm getting freaky.  

Later,

Dave

Get an instant read thermometer for sure.  I am not sure what comes with the egg you are buying but if it does not come with the Plate Setter, get that because you will need it to do indirect cooking at any temperature.  

I don't normally recommend this for people, but if you are going to be dealing with windy conditions regularly, I would probably recommend having a look at one of the electronic temperature control systems.  These can ease the pain of dealing with temperature swings caused by the wind.  

I own several of these things but in your case I would have a look at the Flame Boss 300.  The new Flame Boss 400 is a smaller scale solution but I can't speak intelligently on that one yet because mine just arrived today.  I DO have the Flame Boss 200 which is basically the same thing as the 300 but it only reads one meat probe instead of 3.  These things turn your grill into a computer controlled oven and can be quite nice in your situation.  You have wifi access and control of your grill from anywhere you have a wifi connection.

There... I did it... I can't believe I just recommended that for someone!  Your case could very well warrant this recommendation!

Cheers and welcome to the Kamado grilling community!

@Super Dave....

For starting your fire, I suggest you have starters that "catch" quickly (I like Royal Oak Tumbleweeds and just ordered something similar from FOGO that I have yet to try) and a wind resistant lighter.  If it's really blowing, I get my starter that I have buried in the lump a bit lit and try to bridge a piece of lump over the top making sure it isn't smothered, and then I go ahead and close my dome with the top vent wide open (or off in the case of a BGE) and bottom vent open as much as I can (usually don't have an issue with it blowing out from the bottom vent).  BUT.... don't walk away from it like this.  Let it go in this state only until your starter is burned out and your coals are lit.  Then adjust your vents down accordingly for what you want to do.  Again, you will quickly go nuclear wide open top and bottom so do not leave it this way unattended - only to get it started.

If I'm really struggling and desperate, I'll use the Weber paraffin cubes.  They catch and stay lit extremely well, but they have too overpowering of a chemical smell for me and even though I've heard they are safe to use in Kamado's, I really prefer not to and will only use them in my Akorn Jr. which is steel instead of ceramic construction.

OK great, thanks for the tips.  I'm all in.   

What about the Kick Ash thing and folding / stacking grates?   I'd like the ash cleaning process to be quick.  (Don't have a shop vac).

I appreciate the help.

Dave

1 hour ago, Super Dave said:

OK great, thanks for the tips.  I'm all in.   

What about the Kick Ash thing and folding / stacking grates?   I'd like the ash cleaning process to be quick.  (Don't have a shop vac).

I appreciate the help.

Dave

The general process is - 

Fill with lump. 

Cook a meal. 

Shut it down. 

Next day stir the leftover lump. 

Top it off with fresh lump. 

Cook again. 

I've never owned a BGE but I'm sure you could do that 5 or 6 times easily before needing to clean it out. During that process when you have a nice calm (low wind) period clean it out and start again. 

You are definitely worrying about it too much. It'll take you a little while to figure it out dealing with the wind but eventually you'll look back on this post and laugh at yourself. 

Great, that sounds good.  Sometimes I overthink stuff.  But, that usually leads to good decisions.  

I will be ordering a stainless table tomorrow from outdoorkitchenequip.com   Shipping to Hawaii was pretty reasonable.  I'll go forward with the Egg purchase when the table is getting close.  

Have a good week and thanks for the help.

Dave

My backyard sits in a wind tunnel and getting the grill up to temp is aided by the wind, that's the plus.  I think John mentioned temp fluctuations which is true.  I've had to turn my grill so the vents face either away or at 90 degrees to the wind, I cant recall.  In any case you can play with that and figure out what works for you in the event you want to skip on the temp controller.  

Welcome aboard and looking forward to seeing some great Hawaiian cooks!

Cool, thanks.  Back in the mid 1990's my wife and I checked out Austin to see if we would have better job opportunities and lower cost of living than Hawaii.  We were surprised to see that the housing costs were about the same and decided to stay in Hawaii.  Austin is a cool place though.