John Setzler

Flame Boss 400

A new toy arrived at the Man Cave this morning.  I have a Flame Boss 200 around here somewhere also.  I am curious to see how this one performs since it is a wifi dependent controller that is controlled from a smart device like a phone or tablet.  

20180929_FB400.jpg

Do you think they are just out of stock?  I'm thinking they want the 400 to sell and they kept the 100 for sale only because it's not wifi. Right now they have the 400 wifi and the 100 not wifi.  Only 2 options today.   Maybe the other models will be available if they are out of stock. 

If you look on page 2,  the 200 and 300 says discontinued!  I did not see that when I made my post.

https://www.flameboss.com/Flame_Boss_Products?pi=2

Yep, the page has reported discontinued for at least a week now.  I was initially looking in to the iKamand mostly because I’m already a gadget nerd and new to Kamado cooking but have been successful with learning the vents, but... gadgets!  I started eyeing the FB300 after I saw John actually recommend it to another reader.  Alas, no joy.   

Then a day or so ago I got offered the iKamand at a discount.... I read that Bobby was working on an updated version, but that was before the acquisition...  Anyone know if that is still moving forward?

On 9/29/2018 at 1:21 PM, John Setzler said:

A new toy arrived at the Man Cave this morning.  I have a Flame Boss 200 around here somewhere also.  I am curious to see how this one performs since it is a wifi dependent controller that is controlled from a smart device like a phone or tablet.  

20180929_FB400.jpg

ok cool beans, looking forward to your review.  i like this model.

3 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

ok cool beans, looking forward to your review.  i like this model.

It works as well as the previous flame boss units.  It doesn't work as well as the iKamand, but it works consistently, which the ikamand does not. lol

5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

It works as well as the previous flame boss units.  It doesn't work as well as the iKamand, but it works consistently, which the ikamand does not. lol

In what respect does it not work as well as the iKamand? Ability to hold a steady temperature or? 

23 minutes ago, glenn3 said:

In what respect does it not work as well as the iKamand? Ability to hold a steady temperature or? 

I'm not gonna get into that difference at this point since the iKamand is not performing well overall.  I'll discuss the iKamand more when they get its problems worked out.