Jump to content

John Setzler

Flame Boss 400

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, John Setzler said:

 

It works as well as the previous flame boss units.  It doesn't work as well as the iKamand, but it works consistently, which the ikamand does not. lol

 

You just piqued my interest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-can't resist. If you want to try out a temp controller this appears to be a great time to get the Flame Boss 100. They are $100 lower than when they were a regular item. $149 vs $250.

 

I have 2 FB 100s. One in use and one for the day they no longer are available or I break mine.  A solid accessory. Low tech (uses RF, no Bluetooth, charts graphics and the like) but if you supplement with a remote temp sensor (I use a Smoke) you can realize the benefits of having a remote temp readout too. I guess I am low tech for cooking even though I use high tech stuff at work and personal life all the time.

 

-not in any way hooked into Flame Boss endorsements but my opinion is for entry-level temp control and a bit more, I would rather try a $149 experiment rather than being a guinea pig for an emerging new product [whatever manufacturer].

 

-depends on as they say "what your cup of tea is".

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mike echo said:

-can't resist. If you want to try out a temp controller this appears to be a great time to get the Flame Boss 100. They are $100 lower than when they were a regular item. $149 vs $250.

 

I have 2 FB 100s. One in use and one for the day they no longer are available or I break mine.  A solid accessory. Low tech (uses RF, no Bluetooth, charts graphics and the like) but if you supplement with a remote temp sensor (I use a Smoke) you can realize the benefits of having a remote temp readout too. I guess I am low tech for cooking even though I use high tech stuff at work and personal life all the time.

 

-not in any way hooked into Flame Boss endorsements but my opinion is for entry-level temp control and a bit more, I would rather try a $149 experiment rather than being a guinea pig for an emerging new product [whatever manufacturer].

 

-depends on as they say "what your cup of tea is".

 

M.

 

Exactly.

 

I'd rather cook wtihout the electronics altogether.  That's what I do most of the time.  The only necessary electronics I use is an instant read thermometer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Setzler said:

 

I'm not gonna get into that difference at this point since the iKamand is not performing well overall.  I'll discuss the iKamand more when they get its problems worked out.  

Then why bring the comparison  between the iKamand and FB up at all if your not prepared to speak on it?

 

 Perhaps you could provide a solid review of your use of the FB400 alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, glenn3 said:

Then why bring the comparison  between the iKamand and FB up at all if your not prepared to speak on it?

 

 Perhaps you could provide a solid review of your use of the FB400 alone.

 

I doubt that i will write a review.  I will say that it works as well as the flame boss 200, the fireboard, the bbq guru digiq 2dx, and the bbq guru party q.  All of these things work.  Imdont think any i have mentioned here workmany better or worse than any of the others.   If i was going to depend on one of these to cook my food, i would go with the self contained flame boss unit and not the 400 model.  I dont like to depend on things that are reliant on a wifi connection to function properly.  Inhave not had any wifi issues with my 400 but i would not let myself become dependent on it.  The wifi control on the 400 might continue to domwhat you told it to do if the wifi connection is lost.  I am not sure because i havent tested that on it.  But you can not start a cook with it unless younhave a wifi connection.  Imwould rather have a self contained control unitmlike the 100/200/300 models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a Rock's Stoker for years.  I used it on a drum smoker and now on my Kamado Joe.  It provides remote control via a connection to the Internet, monitoring the KJ and meat temperatures and graphing of the entire cook.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 1:36 PM, pmillen said:

I've had a Rock's Stoker for years.  I used it on a drum smoker and now on my Kamado Joe.  It provides remote control via a connection to the Internet, monitoring the KJ and meat temperatures and graphing of the entire cook.

 

 

Checked his website...looks like he no longer sells them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right!  I didn't look deep enough into the web site.  I'm sorry to see that.

 

I'll soon need a new pit temperature probe as I've overheated mine.  It's only good for 700° and I had it in a pellet grill.  A grill, not a smoker.  It's similar to a Weber Kettle but augers pellets into a burn pot based on set timing rather than burning charcoal.  (I grilled on it twice and sold it for half price.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, helliger said:

mmm, I meant to search for "flame boss 100" but put is as a post by mistake and can't delete it.  At least it's in a thread about temperature controllers. :)

 

You have my sympathy.  This forum's procedures are significantly different from others I frequent.  Early in my experience here I couldn't figure out how to delete a post (still can't) and made it worse by trying to edit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...