Scampi (Langoustines) in White Wine and Tomato Sauce with Pita Bread

Lydia

Scampi (Langoustines) in White Wine and Tomato Sauce with Pita Bread a.k.a Skampi na Buzaru if you're on the Adriatic Coast of Croatia :)

480275991_IMG_6120(1).thumb.jpg.56d9bd9bb4973457571dd758292c24e6.jpg

If these sweet and tender little morsels of loveliness from the sea were as sustainable, prolific and cheap as they are on the West Coast of Scotland, I'd be eating these guys at least twice a week!!  We are lucky enough here in Australia that they also live in Western Australian waters, so I was able to get my little hands on some Aussie ones through my local fish monger.  I'm a little bit jealous that @KamadoJosephine can probably take a leisurely stroll down to the local fish market and pick them up as catch of the day fresh off the boat .  

If you travelled to the Adriatic  coast of Croatia and didn't stumble upon this dish in it's various forms with either scampi, octopus, mussels etc., you'd have to have been hiding in a box to not have come across it.... but I have to say that these little scampi are next level!  They are also known as Norway Lobster or even Dublin Bay prawn.   You could make this with shrimp or any other seafood... the last time I made this, I served the leftover sauce with pan-fried fish fillets and my husband really raved on about how good it was... however it is all the ingredients, including the scampi heads that really make this sauce.

It would be a crime to serve the sauce without something to mop it up, so I made some fluffy / chewy pita bread to serve with it.

I started with getting the Pita Bread doing it's thing:

IMG_6086.thumb.jpg.aa80c84788fa5eab668cb5c791dceac3.jpg

1. Put the milk and hot water in a jug and leave for 10 mins (which should be enough to get it to room temp)

2. add the sugar and yeast and mix to combine

3. leave until it gets frothy (around 5-10 mins)

4. put the flour, salt and thyme in a bowl

5. once the liquid mixture is frothy, add it to dry ingredients and mix through using your fingers

6. transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for approx 5 mins until nice and smooth

7. transfer to lightly oiled bowl and cover with clean tea towel and leave for about an hour, until doubled in size

8. when you're ready, cut into six pieces

9. oil your work surface with some olive oil and roll each one out as the prior one cooks in a heavy based fry pan with a bit of oil on it, for a couple of minutes each side

10. as they're cooked, I placed them in a cozy clean tea towel to keep them warm

White Wine, Seafood Sugo

IMG_6091.thumb.jpg.64a62c640774039d11d3d87977b0bfac.jpg

A few of the heads from the smallest Scampi

small brown onion, finely diced

4 smallish or two large garlic cloves finely chopped

1 can san Marzano tomatoes (pureed)

1 cup white wine (I used a nice Chardonnay from Western Australia to go with the WA scampi) :)

fresh parsley, finely chopped

olive oil

salt and pepper

some day old breadcrumbs ( a couple of tablespoons if necessary)

1. drizzle a bit of olive oil on the scampi heads and place in a medium oven to roast and enhance their flavour

2. place some olive oil in a heavy based pan and cook off the onion until nicely translucent

3. add the garlic and cook off until fragrant but not coloured

4. place the roasted heads in the pan and add the white wine

5. cook off the smell of the wine for a couple of minutes

6. add the tomatoes

7. simmer for 5 mins or so, until you can see the sauce is now cohesive ie. foamy bubbles from the tomato have disappeared

8. if it's too runny, you can add the breadcrumbs to thicken

9. if it becomes too thick, you can add some water to loosen it up.

Scampi

I kg scampi

1 lemon rind

juice 1/4 lemon

1/4  cup olive oil

In Croatia, they would have cooked these whole in the sauce but that wouldn't have allowed me to get the kamado involved! 

Basically, I cut them down the length of their bodies, to get two nice flat sides for placing on the kamado

I brushed them with the olive oil/lemon mixture and cooked them on a 220C/450F kamado for really only a couple of mins per side. They're so delicate that I was very afraid of overcooking them!!

IMG_6106.thumb.jpg.590b13e3e0ecd841ea8d120bd69e8f9d.jpg

I nestled the cooked scampi in the sauce, sprinkled with the parsley and served with pita bread and a glass each of lovely Chardonnay wine of the side. Hubby and I enjoyed sharing this meal straight from the serving dish.  

IMG_6138.thumb.jpg.92f72f501df724e6f0854cb1f8b10581.jpg

What a fantastic seafood meal. 

I have never seen langostinos for sale, ever. The closest I've come is langostino mashed potatoes at Red Lobster and I'm sure your cook was much better. When I eventually come across them I'm pulling the trigger big time. 

Awesome entry with full details as we've come to expect from you :)