MarkQC

Struggling to assemble my Big Joe, having issues aligning ceramic walls, advice please

I picked up a Demo unit that was used by one of the chefs at the Toronto Smokefest yesterday.

I took everything out of it to make it lighter to remove from my car and now I’m struggling to put it back together because I can’t properly align the ceramic walls and have it nice and flush connecting to each other under the ring.

Are the walls interchangeable? Or should specific pieces fit better with each other, I see no markings so it would be hard to identify, i have th base ring as close to what I think is the middle, manual is pretty basic, help please.

Hi,

When I put mine together, the pieces did not fit perfectly snug, and I don’t believe they should.  The reason for the looser fit is to allow the ceramic pieces to expand and contract under heat load without cracking.  

My my biggest struggle was getting the ring snuggly down on top of all 6 pieces.  Using the holes to pull up a plate and adjust positions individually was a bit of a pain.  I followed the advice of another poster here and used rags to help hold the plates in position.

Hope that helps, and I am sure others will also offer their tips and tricks soon!

What kills me is looking at YouTube videos of the classic and seeing it just all for together so perfectly and the installer just pops the ring on top without a struggle and it just slides on with the walls already standing up in their own and the gap is already there for the ring to fit on, I wish this was a one piece.

52 minutes ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

What kills me is looking at YouTube videos of the classic and seeing it just all for together so perfectly and the installer just pops the ring on top without a struggle and it just slides on with the walls already standing up in their own and the gap is already there for the ring to fit on, I wish this was a one piece.

There is no installing the ring without some amount of 'struggle' on either of these grills.  The plates of the firebox odn't need to be symmetric.  They just need to have all their top edges underneath that ring.

1 hour ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

My walls don't stand up by themselves and I can't even see how that is possible.  If you can't find an extra pair of hands then try this:  ball up a paper towel and wedge it between the outer bowl and the plate so that it holds up the plate.  Do the same for the next plate and work your way around until all the plates are in place.  Put on your ring and then either pull out the paper towels or else push them down so that they just rest on the bottom of the outer bowl.  They won't matter at that point.

Best of luck

Welcome to the first Kamado Joe Challenge. :mrgreen:

This is a test, only a test, don’t let it get to you. Best to use 4 hands, but it can be done with only 2.

And yes, when it’s together, that is the way it’s supposed to be. The most sloppily assembled thing you have ever put together. 

As long as the bottom of the plates are in the groove, and the tops are in the ring you should be good. If you want you can even out the spacing between to plates, but be careful. Mine came apart while I was trying to space them out and perfect it, and I had to reassemble it again.

Good luck, and :congrats:

3 hours ago, Mark_from_Quebec said:

Gotta realize, they do that for a living.   Lots and lots of practice.   And the 1 piece was/is notorious for cracking/breaking.   

I just reassembled mine. It was wonky, I figured there had to be some debris in the way... no debris. 

In my Big Joe, the petals will not sit in the base groove. The metal ring is too large to bring them into proper alignment. Every one is twisted a little, pushed back at the top so it pops up at the diagonally opposite corner. I can get an air gap between petals if I don't space them evenly. No issues beyond cosmetics. It cooks just fine. 

HAve fun,

Frank 

I Just wanted to thank everyone, I got this beauty assembled, I realized from watching videos that the accessory rack goes under the grates I believe, or is it under the heat deflectors?

Now just need help with my first cook :)

920088B4-00AE-4650-85B5-DE387B575ED5.jpeg

131F3C8C-4B0B-4A1B-BD83-163B88582898.jpeg

1563A187-40BA-496A-AC38-39877C3DE67B.jpeg

On 9/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, T Yelta said:

My walls don't stand up by themselves and I can't even see how that is possible.  If you can't find an extra pair of hands then try this:  ball up a paper towel and wedge it between the outer bowl and the plate so that it holds up the plate.  Do the same for the next plate and work your way around until all the plates are in place.  Put on your ring and then either pull out the paper towels or else push them down so that they just rest on the bottom of the outer bowl.  They won't matter at that point.

Best of luck

I know this conversation was from a while ago but I just wanted to say THIS saved me!! I was all by myself and spent 2 friggin hours trying to align the plates for my new Big Joe. Tore up my fingers in the process. Using the "paper towel" method and I got it done in 3 minutes. So Thank You whoever you are!

Well good. Fender, that's the purpose of this forum. Glad you found the help and info you needed. By the way, since this is your first post, please stop by the intro section and let all our folks know who you are, what you cook on, etc.