MarkQC

Struggling to assemble my Big Joe, having issues aligning ceramic walls, advice please

12 minutes ago, fender4645 said:

I know this conversation was from a while ago but I just wanted to say THIS saved me!! I was all by myself and spent 2 friggin hours trying to align the plates for my new Big Joe. Tore up my fingers in the process. Using the "paper towel" method and I got it done in 3 minutes. So Thank You whoever you are!

I'm glad the info helped you :) Fire up that cooker and enjoy

I used the cardboard from the Big Joe Box and cut it in strips, works the same as the paper towel method but gives a nice handle to pull it back out.  KJ gives you plenty of cardboard when you open that box.  I had the same frustration putting mine together until I figured that there must be a better way.

Holy hell....

assembling out out of the box on my BJ3 was not that bad... 

Today I pulled the firebox to clean, and putting the SOB back together was like trying to land the mars rover!

my wife came out to check on me... took one look at my face, didn’t say a word, turned and went back inside.

pro move by her.

Still don’t know if I gave them all sat perfectly under the steel ring, but I said to myself “no bad days, man...” and just let it roll.

wowsers (revision candidate!)

On 10/2/2018 at 2:24 PM, John Setzler said:

I find it entertaining when social media 'influencers' don't even know the name of the company they are hawking.

Can you help us with this issue? The brand is KAMADO JOE, the big joe has this problem where the fire box does not come together easily,as the classic Joe does and you know about it,. It  rather comes together all messy with all kind of gaps, and they do interfere with performance and it needs at least 2 set of hands to put together, please don't play smart about this issue, we're all followers of your channel but you never talk about the fix or give a solution about it. 

11 hours ago, Armando said:

Can you help us with this issue? The brand is KAMADO JOE, the big joe has this problem where the fire box does not come together easily,as the classic Joe does and you know about it,. It  rather comes together all messy with all kind of gaps, and they do interfere with performance and it needs at least 2 set of hands to put together, please don't play smart about this issue, we're all followers of your channel but you never talk about the fix or give a solution about it. 

I agree that the firebox could use some modifications to make it an easier assembly.  I can assemble them myself with no problem.  I guess I have just done it enough times that it is easier for me to do.  It' takes me less than 5 minutes. 

SOLUTION:

Disassemble your firebox and reassemble it about 10 times.  When you are done you will have the training you need to be able to do it more quickly. 

I have has zero performance issues because of this firebox design.  If fact, I can make a case that it performs better because i have never had to replace a broken one yet.  

I've done mine 3 times and each time it's easier the first time took a bottle of cabernet. In fact i might do an early spring clean next week. Ohio weather permitting 

Posted (edited)

I guess it's part and parcel of the world we will in now (covid-19 social distancing aside) that we can't ask our wives, children, nextdoor neighbor to help us for 2 minutes. While it is possible and gets easier to solo assemble with practice, an extra pair of hands makes all the difference. 

zero performance issues past, present and future on this end also

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

1 hour ago, len440 said:

I've done mine 3 times and each time it's easier the first time took a bottle of cabernet. In fact i might do an early spring clean next week. Ohio weather permitting 

@len440, don't let weather stop you. That's THE main advantage of a kamado imo. Well, at least up there with fuel consumption

When I got my replacement firebox, I was expecting problems based on what I had read on this forum. When I installed it the sides did not fall back to the sides of the grill and I had no problem putting the ring on.

@tex bbq Not afraid of the weather i grew up in the 50s and 60s grilling in the winter, my dad and i could see the neighbors peeking out the window watching us in the snow doing steaks ribs and chicken, like we were nutz. Have to figure out how to put a roof over it due to rain. I think BBQ in the snow makes it taste better.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, len440 said:

@len440 Have to figure out how to put a roof over it due to rain. I think BBQ in the snow makes it taste better.

Whenever I want to grill in rainy weather, I'll just pop open my freestanding patio umbrella and maneuver it to cover the grill (and me). The heat isn't enough to damage the cloth, but with a Weber that I use a chimney with, I make sure the startup chimney is hiding just under the edge of the lid sitting on the lid catch.