• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
    • John Setzler

Let's Take Sides Challenge!   12/06/2017

Enter your best side dish in this month's challenge!
Gumbo

Gumbo's Big Joe Table Build "Complete!!!"

I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe still in the box in need of a table. I bought the stainless trim model without the stand to keep the cost down knowing I would build a table for it.

I bought treated lumber for the table and set in on slats to dry while I figured out how I would build this thing. I want my table to include an enclosed cabinet to put my Big Joe accessories out of view when not in use. I also want it to be mobile so when I do a cook with lots of smoke, I can wheel it out from under my patio cover to an uncovered cooking area. It's a short distance and all on concrete.

The wood drying on slats. Treated 1X4's and 1X6's were added a couple of days later.

BJTableJPG.jpg

The basic sketch

Scetchoftable.jpg

The tools I will use plus a table saw and jig saw.

ToolsforTablebuild.jpg

Have to start somewhere. Start with a square bottom shelf.

BJTable1.jpg

Here come the legs!!!

BJTable3.jpg

Still keeping things square.

BJTable4.jpg

Making some headway. Time to secure the legs.

BJTable5b.jpg

Had to buy a long 3/8" bit for the 5" distance. The only tool purchase so far. I actually could have used my long 1/4" bit to drill a pilot hole then drill through it with my 3/8" from both sides. Nah, buy a new bit. :)

BJTable8.jpg

Two 3 1/2" deck screws (done while legs were lying flat on ground) then two 1/4" by 4" stainless lag screws, and finally a 3/8 " by 6" stainless bolt with locking washer and nut.

BJTable9a.jpg

Voila!!! My Table is right side up and ready for top frame. :) I attached 5/4" by 6" decking on each end to strengthen the frame and help keep it square.

BJTable10a.jpg

Having a bit of trouble getting photobucket to update pictures. A couple of pics were auto cropped I guess. Have more to post. I have worked on it for about two days now. Mostly just thinking it through so I don't have to undo something out of place. Actually I already did that. It was a 2X4 I placed behind the 1X6 on the bottom shelf. It ended up being in the way of the bolt and a couple of screws. That's the only thing so far. "SO FAR" haha )

Talk aout sturdy! I'm thinking that your table long after the North Koreans bomb us back into the Stoneage!

I over build everything and can't just slap something together. My limited build knowledge causes me to work very slow trying to be precise. Measure 5 times and cut once. :lol:

Begin framing the top. I am working alone so the clamps serve as an extra set of hands.

BJTable11a.jpg

Now I'm trying to figure out where the inside cabinet wall will be placed.

BJTable12.jpg

Almost done with outer frame.

BJTable13a.jpg

Cabinet frame is set in place.

BJTablecabinetextentiona.jpg

Laying out the floor.

BJTable16a.jpg

An idea of what it will look like.

BJTable15a.jpg

Framing slats for outer walls of cabinet.

BJTable17a.jpg

Spacing out the floor boards.

BJTable18a.jpg

More exterior slats installed

BJTable19a.jpg

Floor installed. Now laying out back of cabinet.

BJTable20a.jpg

Inside view of the back of cabinet.

BJTable22a.jpg

Outside view of the back of cabinet.

BJTable21a.jpg

That's where I am as of 4/3/13... Not sure when I will be able to work on it again. Busy busy and have to work this Saturday. Also I'm waiting on my stainless steel socks to be fabricated. Yes! stainless steel socks for each leg, with a heavy duty caster mounted on them.

3 1/2" 350 lb double locking casters.

312quotcaster.jpg

Great Job Gumbo. That certainly won't be flimsy. I really enjoy the pictures as this table comes together. Please keep them coming. (In fact why don't you take the next few days off from work..so you can finish it for us.) :D

I plan to start cutting wood for mine today...and after seeing your pictures I will make a few 'design' changes. Keep up the good work!