It bands

Squarehelmet

A few years ago, there were some PT folks on this site, so I am looking for some advice. I am trying to run my first half marathon in 2 weeks.  All runs have been great recently, knocking out 10 miles without an issue.  On Saturday morning, I upped the run to 11 miles, which added significant hills.  By the end of the run, I could feel things getting tight, extending from my rear, down my leg and across my knee.  This was in both legs.  I believe that I have angered the IT bands in both legs.  I am rolling and stretching, but things are very sore.  Any recommendations on what I should do up until my run?  Should I stop running until then?  

Not a runner,  a cyclist. Minus many details about you and your condition,  that a medical questionnaire would ask. I googled the IT Band issue-never knew of it.  My only parallel is that I have had some leg and knee issues, yes knee issues from bicycling.

-Article I read about IT band probs. contained general advice. This would be overtraining, shoe problems etc.

It did talk about muscle pain, knee pain or both. That type process of elimination I have done between quads and meniscus.

Recommendations? Rest. Patience. Maybe see sports Doc. Pick a half marathon at a later date. Enjoy that run.

I had it band issues when starting training after a lengthy stop (12years lol) I got a hard dog ball and rolled my it bands. I added a minimum 2days  rest a week in to my training and have not looked back. I still roll my It bands on the days I'm not training and have not had a reoccurrance.

If I was you I would take a break to allow the sheething of your muscles to repair before you do the half marathon. You will be sore after but you will have done it :-D:good: good luck 

Edited by ndg_2000
Typo

17 hours ago, Squarehelmet said:

Thanks.  That is pretty much my plan - take the two weeks off an just go for it.  I am rolling and stretching as many times as I can a day.

I wouldn't over do the rolling twice a day until you feel them loosening is probably fine but if you over do it it can end up bruising the muscles you are trying to rehab.... Good luck 

On 10/4/2018 at 6:40 PM, mike echo said:

Tell us how it all worked outthe rehab and the half marathon. I'm hoping that all goes well and we will be discussing longer runs.:good:

Ha ha ha...there will be no longer runs.  This is a bucket list thing.