John Setzler

Lasagna on the Alfa

Awesome John. Once you get the temperature/live fire under control (which you obviously have under control) WFO's give a really nice even heating with one turn middle cook.

Thats a great looking dish. 

This month's challenge is Don't Be Chicken, Any Grill Will Do! That includes WFO's. I know you are not really fond of entering because of the "John" factor. Screw that! Me and a few others (me, Mrs skreef and a few others) want to see what awesome chicken cook you can do in the Alfa. 

1 hour ago, Pigfqr said:

John, that looks amazing.  Can you control the temp on that thing?

Yes... I have been successful with it so far.  I will admit that it likes to cook hot and lower temperatures are a little more difficult to maintain.   One of my next projects on this oven is gonna be a little outside the box for this style of oven, but I'm gonna cook a boston butt in it. 

43 minutes ago, ckreef said:

This month's challenge is Don't Be Chicken, Any Grill Will Do! That includes WFO's. I know you are not really fond of entering because of the "John" factor. Screw that! Me and a few others (me, Mrs skreef and a few others) want to see what awesome chicken cook you can do in the Alfa. 

Sounds like fun... I'll think about that and maybe come up with something fun.  

That's Awesome!

I saw on some cooking show....don't remember where...they had a fire either below or next to the oven that contained hot coals from burning wood that they would use to shovel into the oven as needed. 

So I think you could do the same with charcoal. 

What made you go with the Alfa oven? I would love to have one but have other priorities to fund at the moment. 

10 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@ckreef - have you ever lit a fire in your wood fired oven and then put lump charcoal in to have a lower grade steady heat source?  Specifically have you tried the Marabu for that purpose?

I have not tried that but I imagine it would work. For the baking type cooks I usually heat the oven up with larger pieces of wood so I have a big bed of hot coals. I then catch my cook as the temperature is coming down using just the coals and no fresh wood/flames. Gives a more even cook acting like an oven. Flames definitely brown the top of things faster than just reflective heat. 

Great video and cook.

Next time leave out the grill grate. The pan will slightly cool the deck directly under the pan which basically keeps the bottom from burning. I've done a few casserole type dishes in the WFO and haven't burned the bottom yet putting it straight on the deck. 

I also cook casseroles on the temperature down swing. I'll take the temperature up to 700* or more and let it drift back down. That gets everything really preheated good and the lower temperatures hold longer. I will also put the dish on 50* higher than what I'm going for since I know the temperature is dropping. 

On 10/2/2018 at 6:47 PM, John Setzler said:

I'll just leave this here....

20181002_Lasagna.jpg

Yea... that's what I'm thinkin' too :)

Looks great!  Bumping this thread;  @bosco and i have interest in stoneware and their uses & capabilities in WFO's.   i bought this casserole dish after seeing this video and plan on purchasing a couple more matching pieces.

2 hours ago, freddyjbbq said:

Looks great!  Bumping this thread;  @bosco and i have interest in stoneware and their uses & capabilities in WFO's.   i bought this casserole dish after seeing this video and plan on purchasing a couple more matching pieces.

@freddyjbbq and @bosco I've posted this picture before and it's a little old (I've bought another dish or two since) but here is my current collection of ceramic dishes. They have all gone into a kamado or the WFO at some point in its life. Some more than others. I buy ceramic dishes for their size and shape depending on what I'm using it for. Having a family of three a few versions I bought 3. In the dish in the bottom right you can see the crack I've talked about but the dish is still used on a regular basis. My two favorite are the two with beige on the inside. They are ceramic coated CI. I won those two as a prize in a Kamado Guru monthly challenge.

ceramiccollection2.thumb.jpg.f0a5c3fbaa196e5185f7f4a328a599cf.jpg