• John Setzler

HTTPS   08/31/2016

Kamadoguru.com is how HTTPS.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LostArrow

How is your Chargriller holding up?

27 posts in this topic

Mine is holding up great. I cover it after every cook and have seen no rust on it anywhere. I have had no issues at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mine is about a year old. Running pretty good.

The ashpan seal is fine, however the main seal needs some help. It's getting brittle.

No rust anywhere. I use the cover as soon as it cools off after each cook.

The thermometer is filled with condensation and really needs to be replaced.

Leave it out in the elements......... Do EXPECT trouble but just use CS and that sucker will last many moons.

The ash pan........ Needs to be washed out often to get the corrosive ash off of the metal OR just aluminum foil that sucker

Time to fire mine up and let'er go

Leave it out in the elements......... Do EXPECT trouble but just use CS and that sucker will last many moons.

The ash pan........ Needs to be washed out often to get the corrosive ash off of the metal OR just aluminum foil that sucker

What is CS?

What is CS?

Just a wild guess...

Common Sense.

I have had mine for 19 months now. It's seen many a cook, both long & slow as well as hot for pizza and steak. So far the only rust I see at all is a little on the lower shelf but that is my fault as a couple of times I did not put the cover on correctly and it had standing water on that lower shelf when I went to use it again. The main seal is in need of replacing as it is brittle/hard and I plan on using a nomex material to replace. Currently I am just as happy with it as the day I brought it home. Keep it covered, a little TLC and it should last a very long time, even in this salt air environment.

Mine is stored out in the weather. i keep it covered and it is like new at this point. No rust and the gaskets still hold a seal. Hey if they need replacing they will be easy to do.

indeed, seals are easy to replace. I was not complaining, mine are still effective after 18 months of cooks, and a couple of run away learning curve mistakes on my part, just getting somewhat hard and brittle so I think I'll change them for the upcoming season. Although, here I cook year round so there really is no season. I am pleased to get this life out of the original gaskets and am going to the nomex only because I have some in my shop and it's a fun rainy day project.

My year-plus-old Akorn is doing fine, too. I've cooked on it probably 3 to 4 times as week. No rust that I have found, and I wipe it down about once a month. I keep it covered, and the cover has faded to a nice shade of gray in the Texas sun.

I should have added to my original reply that my cover, Chargriller Akorn Cover, also looks like new. I do spray it once in a while with a UV protector that I bought for my boat and outdoor furniture covers. I really believe that this helps keep the fabric looking good and also keeps it from becoming brittle from the weather. Good stuff from West Marine, pricey but worth every penny.

My year-plus-old Akorn is doing fine, too. I've cooked on it probably 3 to 4 times as week. No rust that I have found, and I wipe it down about once a month. I keep it covered, and the cover has faded to a nice shade of gray in the Texas sun.

About the same report for mine. Had it since Dec. 2011. The cover is a few months newer but it too is added. The ashpan handles have cracked but I called CG and the are sending me replacements.

I can update this as I have been using my CGK frequently as of late. The finish has faded a bit even though it is covered 95% of the time. I tried a couple of things to restore it...Bar Keepers Friend liquid, polishing compound, Nu-Finish car wax, Meguiars cleaner/wax. None really did very much. So I just cleaned it up with some Simple Green and water and polished it up with the Eagle 1 Spray and Wax stuff and covered it.

I noticed that the top seam of the ashpan has some rust right at the bend. I wire brushed it and smoothed a healthy bead of high temp.RTV around it. Other than that, this cooker is holding up very well and more than suits my needs for a very fair price. I

Mine spends the non-snow weather on the patio under a generic cover with no issues. It spent the winter in the unheated garage without a cover. No issues this far!

Well cleaned out my CGK and examined it.

Empty ashes each cook but haven't cleaned in 6 months, looked especiallyl at fire grate , porceloin coated inner sleeve , inner wall & gaskets.

Holding up way better than expected

Fire grate good shape, as best I can tell no cracks in sleeve & no rust , gaskets & wall in great shape!

I've replaced 1 gasket ( grease fire ) some of the cheap screws were rusting but a spray of Pam helped.

I replaced some nuts that were loosening with lock nuts. Otherwise in great shape!

The wood shelves show some wear but should have 2-3 years left.

This years model is $289 @ Kroger , they did improve the air intake with a gasket this year.

Think this could be a 10 year cooker ?

Let me first say that I am the world's worst when it comes to taking care of things. It's not that I don't take pride in the things I own, I'm just too lazy to do the things that I should. Now, with that said ...

This thing is holding up great. Now, I am not as hardcore as some of the other guys on this site are when it comes to grilling. I may go 2 or 3 weeks without touching it and then I may cook on it 2-4 times a week for a couple of weeks straight.

I've done everything from 200-225 for 15 hours with a boston butt to 500+ for steaks and blackend fish. No rust anywhere except on my weber replacement grate that I use to put my diffuser on. Although I did have to reseason the grill once after doing an extremely high temp cook.

A little paint has flaked off of the top vent and it needs a good wiping down, especially on the side trays.

As someone else mentioned, the dome thermometer has condensation in it but it's no big deal, I don't use it much anyway, just for an "idea" of where my temperature is.

I try to cover it as soon as it cools down enough but it doesn't always happen. I do love the cover to this thing though. It gets rained on, shined on and yet it is still as strong as when I first bought it. It has faded to a dark gray but I was afraid it would dry rot like my boat cover does but it has surprised me.

I was worried in the beginning about the durability of this "cheaper" model egg type cooker. But it has far exceeded my expectations. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. And the best part of it all, it has made me a better cook that I had ever been before.

It sounds like ---with gasket replacements at some point---and they are an expendable part---these AKORN cookers should last for five to ten years if kept covered---even in the weather.

Good Deal!!

The weak point seems to be the crappy hardware. I took the advice of a poster here and replaced all the hardware with stainless steel when I assembled the cooker. I also keep it covered and in a garage. I expect it to last for years.

The weak point seems to be the crappy hardware. I took the advice of a poster here and replaced all the hardware with stainless steel when I assembled the cooker. I also keep it covered and in a garage. I expect it to last for years.

Hey garage kept--no doubt you will have it a long time.

Mine is like new and it has sat covered through the winter snow storms.

My gasser is stainless mostly and it has sat covered in the wather for 8 years and looks like new.

Got 10+ small rust spots on the face-up rivets and edges at the grate level, and thru the thick paint! on the lid next to the vent. This is in semi-soupy-humidity Maryland. No additional gapping at the ashpan but I do try to heat-shield it with tinfoil, and I don't hot-grill a lot anyway.

I keep it covered on the sunny deck so the the paint is not glossy but not gray either. The cover top IS faded gray. Happy enough with the durability. Steelwool and touchup paint should slow the rust spots down.

So far mine is holding up good. It is over a year old at this point and has no issues with the firebox of the fire grate. I cook on mine 3-4 times per week keep it outside and covered during the summer and inside the garage during the winter months.