Sign in to follow this  
wcw

New from Jupiter, Fl

I just purchased a Visions Pro S. It's my 1st charcoal grill ever so I 've got a lot to learn. I got the gas insert for everyday use and plan on using as a smoker on weekends. I've already learned a lot from the forum here.

I learned to cook on a Vision Pro C and can tell you it is a very easy to use and highly capable grill. I would have liked the gas burner insert as well, but they did not offer that option when I was cooking on mine. In some circles you will  see a number of mods to address the fact that there are often  some small leaks around the ash drawer assembly. My advice is NO Mods are necessary. The idea that a kamado has to be completely air tight, does not hold water IMO. Your grill right out of the box will hold temp for low and slows as well as reach high temps for cooks like steak and pizza. Like I said before it is a great grill. Make sure you register it with Vision as they provide a very attractive warranty and customer service. Since you have never cooked with charcoal here are a few small tips to help get you started.  Use hardwood lump charcoal, not briquettes. Hardwood lump burns hotter and leaves far less ash. A good and easy to find brand is Royal Oak, they sell it at Home Depot at a pretty good price for the large red bag. Fill your fire box up to about 2 inches below where you'r deflector will sit. The size of your fire is dependent on the air you feed it and not on the amount of lump you use. I recommend lighting a full load of lump with one BGE starter cube in the center of your lump pile (I like them because they burn really clean and don't contain any petroleum products) This is a good time to warn you not to use any chemical fire starter liquid or solid based, as the chemicals and oils  will be absorbed by your ceramic components and contaminate your grill leaving a smell and taste on what ever you cook.  When your starter cube gets going, you can put in your deflector. I recommend setting the vents at 3 or 4 for a moderate heat cook. Once your vents are set just shut the dome and watch what happens. You grill will start to put out a white smoke that will grow thick, this is normal. Do not put on food while the grill is putting out white smoke, as the white smoke will make whatever you cook taste acrid and nasty. As your fire develops, the smoke from your grill will start to lighten and change color. When it becomes an almost invisible blue / grey color,  and your temp is where you want it, your grill is ready for you to put on some food. I always recommend a whole roast chicken for the first cook. Because a whole chicken  is a really easy cook with consistent good results. The best dome temp for a chicken cook IMO is between 375 and 425. It is ok if the you target 375 and your grill runs a little hotter. A chicken is done when a temp probe in the breast reads 165 to 170. I pull mine at 165. When your done with your cook. shut all the vents completely closed and without sufficient air your fire will eventually extinguish. That should be enough to get you started. Happy Cooking. PS. Even though gas is  quicker with less of a learning curve, , I am betting you will love the results and flavor profiles you get using charcoal.