Chasdev

Lump pile placement and ingition location?

5 hours ago, Chasdev said:

Do you remove or retain the original firebox grate when using the KAB?

I've tried with and without and I think I like it better with the grate installed.

Like you I have also tried cooks with my KAB, with and without my fire grate in place under the basket.On moderate heat to high heat cooks, I don't think with or without makes any noticeable difference. On low and slow cooks however, I think using the KAB without a fire grate (In my large BGE) provides for a more even air flow with translates into a controlled fire spreading pretty evenly in all directions from the center placed starter cube. I load the lump with a flat top surface, I do wiggle my fingers into the center of the pile to make a little hole for my starter cube to rest in, and I also position a few pieces of Lump t provide support for a flat piece used as a roof over my initial flame. 

I think perhaps the BGE has a more effective inlet airflow management design than my Pitboss.

With the fire started in the center, the burn trends toward the inlet, about 15 degrees toward the right side.