Sign in to follow this  
KismetKamado

Vortex Wings

Oddly enough, it wasn’t very windy today. I decided to do some vortex wings on the Weber Jumbo Joe. 

Prepped the wings. Most with Franks dry rub and a couple with zaatar that I just picked up today.

7589DD64-99F5-4BAC-97E9-027BAD580A49.thumb.jpeg.3bde0aa173bcf53b5a56900a0679ba3d.jpeg

We went to an end of season sale at the local Primo dealer (25% off everything) today. Picked up 100 pounds of pellets and a few rubs and some beer.   They had a lot going on today. storage unit auction, auction auction, outdoor living sale and all you could drink mimosas or bloody mary’s for 10 bucks... Anyway... the zaatar was one of the rubs I grabbed today at the sale. 

Mr KK partook of the Bloody Mary deal.... I just had one beer - someone had to be the responsible adult. This was a black raspberry sour and was super tasty.   Outdoor living store with grills and accessories and hot tubs and a liquor store and a bar. I think that would be my dream job to work there....

93562FB7-94A2-4D0A-BAB8-A13DF0062C5C.thumb.jpeg.46e750298fcaed15699b6321284c98c7.jpeg

Ok.... I probably could have come home with a Primo Jr for 25% off since Mr KK was feeling no pain after numerous bloody mary’s (He wanted to get his moneys worth.... lol). But.... I was a good kid and was just happy to get him stocked up on pellets on the cheap. 

On to the cook....

Got some char broil center cut lump going in the chimney. 

829B7B9D-C33C-4118-B4D8-F166372FBF3F.thumb.jpeg.aa919a3e392b664a05fab3f99ee74d42.jpeg

I love this little guy....

3C047DAF-AEDF-4745-A13C-25C861C084D9.thumb.jpeg.4f6d634e2e8c5eb0acba16b4cec3c2c5.jpeg

Looking good....  not quite as crisp as I wanted. My lump didn’t last as long as I thought it would. 

168A20F0-30BD-4080-87BC-AB09FC9BD02C.thumb.jpeg.17f9830a9265783176aa40bcf6e40d41.jpeg

My plate with 3 zaatar and tzatziki. 

37E64E89-DB47-480E-92E0-88C93E61AB30.thumb.jpeg.3f927130d11f4d8317575fff6a91a713.jpeg

Mr KK’s with buffalo and blue cheese. 

D9D29858-1B15-43B0-9E6B-FD44A331C62B.thumb.jpeg.b6d2e4bc8b3e03d36affeae51c97a70f.jpeg

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

Nice looking Weber wings. Great first entry and plenty of time to get a few more in before months end.

That type of local dealer would not be good on my wallet. 

I’ve got two more cooks planned for today if I get a break in the weather..... gasser and griddle on deck waiting for their moment in the spotlight. 

Picked up something to throw on the Cook Air out at work sometime this next week or two as well. And there will be a pellet grill cook for sure. I’ll have to see if I can catch a nice enough day for a Hibatchi attempt. Ambient temp and wind are a problem this time of year....   

They definitely have some really cool things out there at the outdoor living store.   Probably for the best I was the designated good kid or I would have ended up getting myself in trouble.... mr. kk would not have appreciated having to load both a Primo jr and me into the truck. lol.  

3 hours ago, Sodaking27 said:

Sounded like a fantastic end of season sale. Drinks and BBQ equipment, I’d been in trouble for sure. Great looking wings. I love them from the vortex.

Thanks!  I love vortex wings too.  I used my CharBroil lump thinking it would be great.  When I use briquettes my small chimney filled is the perfect amount. It wasn’t enough with the lump. I think because all the pieces were so small. I’m going back to briquettes for vortex cooks.....more predictable results. It was disappointing they weren’t ultra crisp like the usually are....

My wife and I have boycotted going to events that you can purchase things and alcohol is present.  We went to a vacation expo one time and it was open bar.  Needless to say, I woke up the next day, checked my credit card and saw that the cheapest part of the night was the limo we called from the event to get home so that we didn't have to take the train as it had snowed 6 inches while we were in the expo.  I think I remember it being fun.  I do remember a kangaroo and a sloth being present.  I verified that I didn't dream that by emailing the even coordinator.

Now, onto your entry.  Those wings look fantastic.  I did some wings today, but nothing worthy of being entered.  And I have only ever found one sour that I have enjoyed.

3 hours ago, Bgosnell151 said:

My wife and I have boycotted going to events that you can purchase things and alcohol is present.  We went to a vacation expo one time and it was open bar.  Needless to say, I woke up the next day, checked my credit card and saw that the cheapest part of the night was the limo we called from the event to get home so that we didn't have to take the train as it had snowed 6 inches while we were in the expo.  I think I remember it being fun.  I do remember a kangaroo and a sloth being present.  I verified that I didn't dream that by emailing the even coordinator.

Now, onto your entry.  Those wings look fantastic.  I did some wings today, but nothing worthy of being entered.  And I have only ever found one sour that I have enjoyed.

Kangaroo, sloth and a limo ride?  How can  you go wrong with a night like that???  :)

I would consider these wings not worth of posting, but I'm on a mission to submit as many entries as possible just for the fun of it.  Unfortunately it rained on my parade all day and I didn't get any other outdoor cooks done today, even though I prepped two.  Hopefully tomorrow night will be decent.

3 hours ago, prowe said:

Fine looking wings indeed Ms. KK!

Thanks, @prowe!  I wish they had turned out better.... they were good but not great.

2 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Looks good from here, glad my local dealer doesn't do anything like that.  I know my wallet would be a lot lighter.

Yep - I tend to steer clear of that place.  Especially unsupervised.... ;)

It's not far from my work so it's tempting to run over there on a whim sometimes.  

11 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Very nice cook Kismet, I love Za'atar. My buddy got me into using it on fresh baked flat bread slathered with olive oil. He says it is a traditional prep, I say it pretty darn good. 

I will have to try it on the flatbread. It’s definitely unique. I had never had it before. Very strong and a little goes a long way, but great flavor!