Sign in to follow this  
Cavman

Blackberry Sauce

I have been picking blackberries in my backyard off the fenceline and freezing them. I have made 1 cobbler already and have about 10 cups of berries left. Living in a fifth wheel with a lousy oven, I bought a NuWave and love it, also inadequate for baking though. I suppose I could make cobbler in my dutch oven, but that's a lot of trouble. Too much for just me. Don't have a girlfriend right now and my daughter is in her senior year. She hasn't had much time to visit dad lately. If I am going to go to the trouble of making a cobbler, I want someone to share it with besides my neighbors. I got to thinking, I want to make a blackberry sauce to use as a topping for things like ice cream, pancakes, cheesecake. Make milkshakes and margaritas. I have researched many sauces and syrups, but I want chunks of berries in it. I am thinking make the berry part of the cobbler, in a crockpot, with no crust. I am open to suggestions about the recipe, but also how to handle it. Will it be such a short shelf life I have to make it as I need it? I have very limited freezer space. I do have a water bath canner, jars and lids, but have never used it. I always intended to make jam but never got around to it. Thanks in advance for your input!

John

I have a old recipe from Sunset Magazine for a blackberry sauce for ribs.

1-1/2 cups blackberries

1/4 cups each honey, catsup, packed brown sugar and minced fresh ginger

1 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1 to 2 tsp hot sauce to taste

Whirl everything in a blended until pureed.  Simmer on stove top until reduced to 1-1/2 cups.  Baste ribs several times when almost done.  Makes some good sticky ribs.

That sounds reall good, that would be something I will make using my sauce. I will try this on the rack of ribs in my freezer sometime soon, whether building it from scratch or a sauce I make.