Sign in to follow this  
Ginger Ben

Dome hitting the D&C when grill is hot

Hi all,

I've had my big joe for around 3 years now so it's a mk1. I recently had to change the lower shell as the old one cracked. Whilst I was doing this one of the bands got bent so I had to get some new ones before fitting the new shell and old dome back together.

I got to this the other week and noticed that the new shell diameter is slightly smaller than the dome. This means that when the grill is cold the D&C is butted right up against the sides of the lower shell and the dome just about clears it to close. However when the grill is hot and the D&C has expanded the dome does not clear it and it crunches on the D&C which has caused a few chips to come out of the dome (I only did this once or twice as I was mid-cook when I discovered this issue, haven't used the grill since). 

In the UK the KJ distributor thinks it might be I need the new retrofit bands/hinge to solve the problem however I'm not sure. To me it seems like the D&C I have is almost too big for the lower shell. Does anybody know if KJ altered the size of the D&C when they changed the size of the big joe or has anybody come up against a similar issue and found a workable solution?

The pictures below show the D&C touching the sides of the lower shell at the front and back of the grill and also the damage sustained on the dome.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

PS - Just to clarify KJ UK are on the case, I'm just keen to know if anybody has also come up against this and what you did if so. 

IMG_7866.JPG

IMG_7867.JPG

That looks like a pretty darn schnug fit for sure.   I've seen others have problems with replacing just one of the outer shells and not fitting the other original.   KJ should replace both shells when one breaks but not sure that would address your fitment issues with D&C.  Good  Luck.

On 10/10/2018 at 5:59 AM, BURGER MEISTER said:

That looks like a pretty darn schnug fit for sure.   I've seen others have problems with replacing just one of the outer shells and not fitting the other original.   KJ should replace both shells when one breaks but not sure that would address your fitment issues with D&C.  Good  Luck.

Thanks, yes I think unless the D&C has also changed this might be a problem even if they sent a new dome as well. Perhaps a new dome and these new retrofit hinges would work? I'm going to have to wait and see what they suggest I suppose.

18 hours ago, Ben S said:

I think they lowered the height of the firebox since the D&C was introduced. Talk to KJ through the support page. I am guessing they will send you a new FB. 

I have the new one as my previous one cracked. It's a bit of an odd one.