Sign in to follow this  
Joe22

Controlling temps

@Joe22 you responded with a "HaHa".. but I'm serious. It's how a lot of us light our lump. Fill up the firebowl, and light the center with a plumber's torch. I use my Kamado on average 3x a week, and I'm still on the same bottle of MAPP gas I bought 2+ years ago.

So first thing that I got a chance to try was calibrating my temp probe. Well needless to say, it was off by a considerable amount. Laugh if you will but it was close to 70' too high. Gee that'll cook that shoulder much faster. I'm going to a long cook over the weekend and I plan on trying some of the ideas that you'll have given me. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Thanks again.

@ Walrus. I wasn't necessarily laughing at you the people who use the method. I was more laughing at myself for not. I have exactly what you described and I'm gonna try that next cook. I have a few boxes of the Weber cubes that I'm trying to use up and I have a mason jar full of ipa soaked cotton balls as well. I like your idea better though. Thanks for the tip.