Jump to content

Brisket burnt ends


tbaby3333
 Share

Recommended Posts

When do you guys separate the point from the flat to do your burnt ends? Going to give doing burnt ends a try this weekend. I was thinking of separating them before I put them on the smoker during the trimming process. What say you my fellow smoking peeps

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@CentralTexBBQ Yup, that's exactly what I did as well.  I think the point helps everything stay moist during the smoke.  I followed John Setzler's video on doing a brisket.  He recommends, and I agree, to cut a wedge of the fat out between the point and the flat.  It will help you see the dividing line between the 2 pieces of meat after the cook.  Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pigfqr said:

@CentralTexBBQ Yup, that's exactly what I did as well.  I think the point helps everything stay moist during the smoke.  I followed John Setzler's video on doing a brisket.  He recommends, and I agree, to cut a wedge of the fat out between the point and the flat.  It will help you see the dividing line between the 2 pieces of meat after the cook.  Good luck!

Thank you. I looked at John's video. Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the burnt ends were amazing, but my flat was a little dry. I wrapped it in butcher paper at about 165 then tried to get it up to 200. I did get lazy at the end and didn't let it rest in a cooler. I put it in the stove still wrapped and my wife accidentally turned the oven on 330 so that might have something to do with it lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found that the lower and slower it cooks, the more tender the flat gets.

If you are cooking a nice fatty prime grade the flat will be a bit more tender but MY best briskets (tenderness wise) have gone 22 + hours, most of that cooking at 170/180 and turned up to 250 for two or three hours at the end.

In a pellet spitter that is.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I've found that the lower and slower it cooks, the more tender the flat gets.

If you are cooking a nice fatty prime grade the flat will be a bit more tender but MY best briskets (tenderness wise) have gone 22 + hours, most of that cooking at 170/180 and turned up to 250 for two or three hours at the end.

In a pellet spitter that is.....

 

That's interesting. I was just having a convo at the Roadshow about briskets. Anyway, my takaway is that in a Kamado, I have found neglible difference in brisket taste, texture or tenderness between smoking @ 215° through 285°.

 

Edited by CentralTexBBQ
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I've found that the lower and slower it cooks, the more tender the flat gets.

If you are cooking a nice fatty prime grade the flat will be a bit more tender but MY best briskets (tenderness wise) have gone 22 + hours, most of that cooking at 170/180 and turned up to 250 for two or three hours at the end.

In a pellet spitter that is.....

I usually do 225 but I went 250-280 for this one. Next time I'll go with what I'm accustomed to doing and that's 225 and below. Thanks for that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

 

That's interesting. I was just having a convo at the Roadshow about briskets. Anyway, my takaway is that in a Kamado, I have found neglible difference in brisket taste, texture or tenderness between smoking @ 215° through 285°.

 

Do you separate your point and flat prior to smoking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2018 at 9:45 AM, CentralTexBBQ said:

 

No, I always cook full packers, and never separate. Just my preference. Other than my initial 'learning my kamado' cook, they have always turned out amazing.

And you do the burnt ends after it's all done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...