Bronson

Need some help with poultry

My wife is a fish & chicken (Turkey) fanatic. Every time she goes to Sam’s Club or Costco she brings home one of their rotisserie chickens. The first night we eat it as you normally would. Then she picks or pulls it and adds pieces to salads, or any other way she comes up with. 

When i cook a chicken or turkey on my Kamado Joe the bird just don’t  pull apart like the bought roasted birds. I can’t say it’s tough but it certainly not what I’m shooting for. 

Anyone got got any ideas of what to do or no do?

Thanks

Buy a Joetisserie? 

Other than that, I wouldn't know how to duplicate rotisserie chicken on the grill.  I don't have one so unfortunately I could not be of any help there.   I normally butterfly my birds and cook raised indirect where the grill lands between 350F and 400F. Pull when the breast hits 155F and let sit for a few minutes. 

Cook it in a cast iron pan with something underneath. You could use whole carrots for instance to rest the chicken on while it cooks. Rub chicken with butter or olive oil and salt and pepper. Cook at 425 for I hr. Cover with foil for 30 min after cooked.

Eat!

Brine the bird before cooking, that's one of their methods to get a moist, tender bird every time.  But, they use some chemicals in their brine that I don't care for.  Oh ya, low and slow doesn't hurt either with a good rub inside and out.

Before I got my Joetisserie, beer can chicken was about as close to rotisserie as I could get.

I did read about a grill accessory called the Vortex in another thread where @KismetKamadoused one to make crispy wings.  While researching the Vortex, I saw where some folks claimed that it could be used to make rotisserie-like chicken without the rotisserie.  Not sure how accurate that is, but it's not expensive and may be worth giving it a shot.

Sorry if my post lead you in the wrong direction and Thanks to all that posted! 

We have no problem with the taste of our birds using the spatchcock method. We just can’t seem to get the tenderness they get. When picking or pulling one of their birds she very seldom uses a knife or utensil of any kind. It just pulls apart very easy.  I’ve cooked at lower temps 275° and I’ve cooked at the higher range 375°ish. I get about the same result. I usually use 10-12 lb turkey and 4-5 lb chicken. I know the turkeys have been frozen as we thawed them out. The chickens were not frozen when bought but my guess they might have been at some point. 

All you ever wanted to know about Costco rotisserie chickens

And...

If you’ve ever tasted a Costco chicken before, you know they can be incredibly salty (and, in turn, incredibly tasty). That’s because they’re injected with a special saline solution to add flavor. The birds pack in a total 460 milligrams of sodium each.

Point being, brining is the key. Either with dry brining or a brine soak, the poultry comes out much better. 

Here's how I like to brine:

Dry Brine
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • 2 Tbls baking powder

Combine the two ingredients.

Pat your bird dry with paper towels.

Generously sprinkle the salt mixture on all surfaces. The meat should be well coated with salt, though not completely encrusted.

Warning: You will most likely not need all of the salt. In some cases, less than half will be okay; it depends on the size of your bird and your salt preferences.

Transfer the poultry to a rack set in a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours. Without rinsing, roast as desired.

To brine longer than 24 hours, loosely cover turkey with plastic wrap or cheesecloth before refrigerating, to prevent excess moisture loss through evaporation. Let rest for up to three days.

Wet Brines

Pork Chops 
  • 64 oz apple juice
  • 1 cup brown sugar 
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt 
  • 1/2 cup no-salt BBQ rub

Whole Chicken

• 1 gallon warm water
  • 3/4 cup kosher salt
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
Chicken Breasts
  • 1/4 cup of kosher salt
  • 1 quart (4 cups) of warm water. 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

+1 to brining, but...

+1 also, to using a good in-meat thermometer and taking advantage of carry-over cooking.

Pull the bird 5F before your target temperature, because internal temperature will continue to rise after you remove the bird. wrap in foil off the grill, and give them a long rest. Overcooking is the enemy. I guarantee the rotisserie folks are temping their birds...

HAve fun,

Frank

One thing to keep in mind is the quality of the bird and amount of pre-brining that occurs before you even get your bird home. Steer clear of all birds that too large. Smaller birds are more tender. I tend to stick to around 3 pounds. Also, check the label. If it reads that the bird is packed in a solution then it has already been brined with salt and all kinds of additives. Try to find a bird that is not packed in such a solution. If you want to brine, do it yourself.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, SmoovD said:

...it has already been brined with salt and all kinds of additives....

I've thought about this a lot, because I always brine my turkey breasts, and I've yet to find one without this stuff. Here's my view. 

Brining is about osmosis. The meat is a "solution" of turkey, salt and additives. The brine, in my case, is a solution of salt, sugar, spices and black pepper corns. The meat surface is the membrane. Salt and sugar will both equilibrate across it. The sugar will draw brine into the meat and the meat's eventual salt content will be determined by the brine (larger mass). That's what you're looking for. The additives are also diluted by that larger mass, which I see as a plus. One key thing is an overnight soak on a modest-size bird with the skin loosened; you can't get equilibrium to any depth in a few hours. 

I've been doing this for a very long time, and feeding it to friends and family regularly with no issues, and no complaints. Try it both ways if you'd like to see the difference. 

HAve fun,

Frank