Honey Mustard Chicken Apple Skillet Dinner

It's apple season, and many neighbors are giving away apples so when I saw this recipe, I wanted to give it a try.  The recipe actually called for skin on thighs, but when I went to the grocery there was a special on whole chicken breast for .99, so I thought that would work.  Did a dry brine of olive oil, garlic salt and herbs for 24 hours.  Got my Akorn Jr. started up on a spectacularly beautiful Fall day in the Pacific Northwest, and also decided to use a bit of apple wood chips for smoke.  First roasted the chicken for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Then added the mixture of sliced red onion, sliced red apples, and a base of cole slaw around the chicken breast.  Over that poured a mixture of chicken stock and honey mustard dressing, and roasted another 20 minutes until IT was 165, pulled and rested.  Just realized I didn't take a picture of the pan in the Akorn, sorry.  Broccoli was what I had on hand, but I think brussel sprouts would have been a better choice.  A perfect Fall meal on a perfect Fall day.

WP_20181015_001.jpg

WP_20181016_010.jpg

WP_20181016_012.jpg

WP_20181016_013.jpg

WP_20181016_019.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, O C said:

Beautiful! What an outstanding 'one pot' entree.I have relatives in Seattle and an old friend who last I heard lived on Whidby, have visited the area several times, would love to enjoy that dinner overlooking your view :)

We are so fortunate to live here, especially with the El Nino that is going to happen this winter.  But our Fall has been spectacularly mild and beautiful.  We have a wood picnic table not far from that fire pit, and while it's expensive open space, it makes such a difference on how we live here.