Rotisserie Citrus Glazed Smoked Chicken

daninpd

At Thanksgiving my favorite way to do turkey is apple smoked with a non-edible stuffing of mixed, quartered citrus: oranges, lemons, limes, tangerines.  The citrus releases it's juices inside the bird and the rotisserie lets the juice coat the skin and caramelize.  The best way to do turkey is with a citrus brine overnight and then stuff.  I had to hunt through several stores to find a chicken in the 3 lb range.  When you see chickens on sale for .99 a lb labeled "fryers" and the cheapest one is $7.30, those are what my Grandma called stewing hens.  This little guy was 2.85 lbs.  I sprinkled with salt and pepper, inside and out and then sprinkled a bunch of zest from limes, lemons and tangerines inside the cavity.  Stuffed with the quartered citrus, trussed and slathered with some softened butter.  Put on my Stok rotisserie to smoke with apple wood until the internal temp in the thickest part of the thigh was 155 and relied on residual heat to get it done.  Served with some blue cheese mashed red potatoes and gravy and some "Mexican Street" style grilled corn on the cob with Crema, Cotija cheese and lime juice.  That was a good Monday night supper with some leftover chicken for a Tuesday night smoked chicken pasta salad.

DMP_1666.JPG

DMP_1667.JPG

DMP_1670.JPG

DMP_1672.JPG

DMP_1674.JPG

6 hours ago, ckreef said:

Never heard of that rotisserie grill. Great entry. 

The Stok was sold by Home Depot.  It accepts a lot of the accessories that fit a Weber 22" and mine is a typical, aging melange of bits and pieces cobbled together to keep it going.

1 hour ago, daninpd said:

The Stok was sold by Home Depot.  It accepts a lot of the accessories that fit a Weber 22" and mine is a typical, aging melange of bits and pieces cobbled together to keep it going.

Cobbled together and all it was a fine grill to use for this challenge. 

39 minutes ago, Smoke and Awe said:

Somehow, I have to figure out how to do this without a rotisserie

This was done over indirect heat with the little Weber charcoal side baskets.  Set your grill up that way, get out your big tongs, load a book-on-tape on your phone and stand there and give it a quarter-turn every 10 seconds.  Human powered rotisserie.   Depending on the book it might even be educational.  Probably educational enough to make you go out and buy a rotisserie.

Truly fine looking chicken and a beautiful plate, daninpd. I have saw those Stok gills at Home Depot a while back. Some were larger and some really small. I think they were looking at the deck grill market, they seemed to be pretty well made, however. I love citrus with chicken. A lot of Greek dishes use fresh lemon juice, olive oil, salt, oregano,  and Ouzo for a hint of licorice, or Grappa for a smokey flavor 

I have a nice heirloom turkey on the way for Thanksgiving. I am thinking about trying this citrus stuffing in the turkey with a tequila lime rub on the outside. Might have to do a butterball trial before the big day!

13 hours ago, gotzero said:

I have a nice heirloom turkey on the way for Thanksgiving. I am thinking about trying this citrus stuffing in the turkey with a tequila lime rub on the outside. Might have to do a butterball trial before the big day!

Do the trial.  Include apple or cherry for your smoke and I think you'll be happy.  Weight the citrus you use to your taste but include everything for complex flavor.  I like the tequila lime rub.  Are you doing a rotisserie?

16 minutes ago, daninpd said:

Do the trial.  Include apple or cherry for your smoke and I think you'll be happy.  Weight the citrus you use to your taste but include everything for complex flavor.  I like the tequila lime rub.  Are you doing a rotisserie?

Yes to rotisserie. Ruined other whole bird cooking methods for me!