Sign in to follow this  
Doug123

Do you bring your Akorn in for Winter storage???

Not that I am giving up just yet but I am figuring at some point I'm going to be thinking about storing my Akorn for the Winter.

I am in southwestern PA, gets pretty cold, usually a good bit of snow, etc.

Just wondering how many of you bring yours indoors? If so, when do you usually bring it in? 

Do any of you cook throughout the Winter?

I have the Akorn cover on mine. If I bring mine in, more than likely I will be storing it in the garage.

Thanks!

I think many of us cook through the winter. The Akorn is more susceptible to weather than ceramics.... but my vote is leave it out and use it as much as you can during the winter.  The ability to do that is part of the beauty of having a Kamado. 

Have always cooked throughout the winter, We don't get as much snow as you do in PA but I have shoveled a path to get too the grill many times. Takes a little more lump but everything comes out great, regardless of the outside temps.

When I lived in Upstate NY and had my Akorn, when the snow started I pushed her into the garage to extend the life, like Blusmoke, but wheeled her out into the driveway to cook a couple of times a week.  The next morning, back into the garage, sort of like the car, used all winter but not abused.  120 inches of snow per winter is no reason to keep your grill in the garage all the time!! :)

My idea of a winter storage for my Akorn is moving it closer to the back door to minimise the out of time I have to spend outside in inclimate weather hah. I'm fortunate enough to have a large wrap around deck at my home with 5 doors of access to it. So I just wheel my Akorn to the door closest to the kitchen for "winter storage."

In most cases I'm able to preheat, cook and shut down the Akorn without even stepping foot outside if I don't want to. Honestly I don't mind cooking outside in the cold weather and a lot of times I will build a fire and hang out outside listening to music and having some adult beverages while grilling. My main reason for moving the Akorn is so if it snows I'm not tracking wet boots in and out of the house during a cook. 

Mine has gone through one winter on the deck and is about to do a second. I leave it covered any time I am not using it, and try to use it once a week. 18 months in, I cannot see a sign of rust or unhappiness. Mine did not care about cold or snow or rain or wind. 

The kamados changed the game for me about outdoor cooking. I might not hang around outside with a beer in January, but the cooks are virtually the same. I you are up for it, the Akorn is up for it. 

I have a Akorn on the cart and the factory cover did not impress.  After a year in a very mild climate I could have strained soup through that thing.  I have no idea if the factory cover for the R2D2 style Akorn is any better, but I would be skeptical.  Use your Akorn all winter, keep it covered and get a cheap tarp to throw over everything if snow is imminent.  Then you can shake off the snow and be ready to cook.  Have fun.

Minnesotan here - I don't store it in the winter, put mine does have a cover that stays on when not in use. In the winter I shovel an area around the smoker so I can use it.

Seeing as I don't really have a whole lot of extra storage space I'll leave it out this winter and hopefully get some use out of it.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone!