Doug123

Do you bring your Akorn in for Winter storage???

I’ve got two Akorns one is inside the camper for the winter, the only comes out of the garage when I use it. Pull it out cook put it back in safe from any weather. 

I think it will last me a very long time this way. The one at the camper stays outside with a cover from spring to fall. Only been through a rain once or twice. That one should last very long also!

I live in Rochester NY, I use my Akorn 2-3 times per week all winter long. Place at garage door enjoy the 10 degree weather with a beer!

I have kept my smoker in the garage for the last few winters. This year I kept it outside with a cover on it. I didn’t use it for a month and a half and the cast iron grate rusted badly after 3 years of zero rust issues. A friend wondered if the cover had caused it to trap moisture and rust, idk. Next year I will keep it in the garage. 

I've got a Keg and it's been outside (and used) all winter for many years - and we get some real nasty winter.  I've got a good heavy duty vinyl cover which keeps it dry rain/snow etc.

-30 just takes a lot longer to heat up, but other than that, cooks like it always does.  Bonus - cools down a lot faster!!

My Akorn with the side table is out covered all winter (no garage to put it in)... seems to be holding up well, and I try to light a fire in it occasionally, and since there's a fire in it, I usually throw some meat on there too...  This weekend it was beef back ribs, they were incredible.

One plus of the cold is I can light the charcoal chimney on top of the ice that's formed on the stone patio in the back yard.

I have an Akorn at the family cottages too, which stays indoors for the winter and covered in the mild weather.  Excited to spend some time with it in the warm weather.

I keep my Akorn (Junior ...) inside on a shelf most of the time, but when it's outside I leave it un-covered, with the bottom removed and sitting upside-down partly on a stone.  So, there's nowhere for water to condense and nowhere for rainwater to go but – out the bottom.

Thanks for all the replies on this. Meant to say earlier that mine was out covered all winter and I didn't see any negative effects. So until I find myself with some more storage room, that's what I plan on doing from now on. Thanks again.