philpom

Latest Buc-ee's haul

Yes, I admit it, I like the place.  As it stands I must drive 15-20 minutes to get to one.  They are opening a new one 1.5 miles from my house within weeks.  (God save me)

Nice haul this time, the dried beef is great and I also snagged some dried venison sausage!  The food value of this place is high, best place I know to get the meats.

A sample of the dried meat, that beef stick is over an inch in diameter and tasty as can be.  The venison really comes through with the sausage.

IMG_20181019_204704332.thumb.jpg.b71f0cbd7bc5a756f574c6af32d1ff5f.jpg

The 5 Amigo's is a favorite and that habanero pickle relish is fantastic with tuna or egg salad.

IMG_20181019_211719023.thumb.jpg.e3fb54e17527377616eb1e96799907d1.jpg

Who would have known?  And, the cast iron selection is only exceeded (maybe) by Cabela's.  I also really need one of those 4k smokers they have out front.

@philpom, I have it on good authority that all meats purchased at Buc-ees should be accompanied by quotes: "beef", "venison", etc. :-D

Just kidding', can't wait to shop at one. I've passed by the one on I-35 outside my hometown several times without stoppong. Looks good.

20 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

@philpom, I have it on good authority that all meats purchased at Buc-ees should be accompanied by quotes: "beef", "venison", etc. :-D

Just kidding', can't wait to shop at one. I've passed by the one on I-35 outside my hometown several times without stoppong. Looks good.

The one on 35-W by the Texas Motor Speedway or the one on 35 near Waco?  The one on 35-W is the nearest to us but they are building on on 35-E that opens at the end of this month.  That one is less than 2 miles from me.  Ugh.  I admit, the "venison" was farm raised.  :)

2 hours ago, St1brew said:

Nice haul! Never seen a Buc-ees, but I've never left the east coast either.... Sounds like a neat store.

They are only in Texas however and despite uproar by many I hear they are building one in Florida somewhere.  

The funny thing is they are just a gas station (with 200 pumps that also sells everything from deer feed to smokers to housewares, clothing, toys, cookware and of course food)  You  can even pick up an RTIC cooler.  A strange place with a strange lure. 

1. These threads make me feel like I do not understand consumer economics and I definitely do not understand Texas.

2. Buc-ees looks fantastically awesome compared to our anemic gas station offerings in the mid-Atlantic. Here, I might venture in with a grumble if I am starving. 

14 hours ago, philpom said:

The one on 35-W by the Texas Motor Speedway or the one on 35 near Waco?  The one on 35-W is the nearest to us but they are building on on 35-E that opens at the end of this month.  That one is less than 2 miles from me.  Ugh.  I admit, the "venison" was farm raised.  :)

Farm raised? LOL The one near Waco. Temple born and raised :)

Oh, my.  I just looked at their website. I’m astonished. Never seen anything like this and never imagined anything like this.  

Its just so freaking huge...never seen so many pumps. Then the building is like a mini mall. I have to visit one some day.  

Been 25 years since I was in TX. Can’t believe I missed these when I was there, if they existed back then.

5 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

I would be banned by the wife if we had one of those around here.  Nice haul as usual.

Ha!  I guess I'm lucky, Mrs philpom woke up Saturday before last and said, "Want to go to Cabelas?  Buc-ees is on the way!  That's a nice outing for a Saturday.  A little further down from Cabelas is Cheaper Than Dirt and on the way back is Quail Creek gun range.

5 minutes ago, philpom said:

Ha!  I guess I'm lucky, Mrs philpom woke up Saturday before last and said, "Want to go to Cabelas?  Buc-ees is on the way!  That's a nice outing for a Saturday.  A little further down from Cabelas is Cheaper Than Dirt and on the way back is Quail Creek gun range.

I'm tearing up just imaging my wife saying those words to me :rofl:

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, philpom said:

They are only in Texas however and despite uproar by many I hear they are building one in Florida somewhere.  

The funny thing is they are just a gas station (with 200 pumps that also sells everything from deer feed to smokers to housewares, clothing, toys, cookware and of course food)  You  can even pick up an RTIC cooler.  A strange place with a strange lure. 

They're definitely expanding.  There is one being built in between Pensacola, FL and Mobile, AL if my memory serves me right on my last trip...it may have even been between Mobile, and Biloxi, MS.  Either way, my last bathroom break at Buck-ee's cost me $250.  A potty break for my daughter ended up with three RTIC coolers, Ghost Pepper salsa, Buck-ee's Strawberry jelly and some snacks.