Sign in to follow this  
Alpharetta_EggHead

Hello from Atlanta

Hello, I am new to Kamado grilling. I just bought a used XL Big Green Egg. With my first cook, I really struggled with controlling and maintaining temps. I thought it would be easy, but it's not lol. In my Internet research, I came across a post by Ceramic Chef on this website that taught me a lot. I still have many questions. I'm still looking for the post where he said he had a recipe for vent settings. Anyone know where it is? This looked like a really good community, so I'm excited to be part of it and ready to learn!

Welcome, Alpharetta, glad to have both you and your "new to you"  XL Egg with us. That is a truly fine grill and will serve you very well. I too cook on an Egg, mines a large. CC has a wealth of knowledge, but there is a learning curve to getting the nack of using it. The remedy is cook on your Egg , a lot. The more you cook, the more you learn and any   mistakes you make along the way only lead to having more and more success. Because of the way it works, and the fact that the ceramic components inside your Egg heat up and retain heat, it is much easier to raise temps inside your Egg than to lower them. Try putting in a full load of lump,  flat and level at about 2 inches below where your deflector sits in the low position. light one BGE starter cube in a slight depression you make with your fingers in the center of your lump pile. Let the cube get going well, maybe 5 minutes after you lite it. Then put your main grate in without your deflector. Close the lid and set your bottom vent to about 1/2 inch and your top vent to a sliver above 1/16. Have a beer, listen to some music and watch your Egg for about an hour and see what happens. First your Egg with start to put out a thickish white smoke and your dome thermometer will show a slow rise in temp. When you get to 150 if you want to hit a target in the 200's close you bottom vent to about a 1/4 inch. You will gain temp at a slower rate. (Hint, don't open the lid). Over the coarse of the hour, your smoke color will start to change from white to a almost invisible blue grey color. Never cook on the white smoke as it will make your food tasty nasty like you think an ash tray would taste. When you get the blue grey smoke your grill is ready for food. My advice though, is to see where you grill settles at this vent setting. If it is where you want it for a low and slow, great. If it is a little high, your know how to set your vents next time. On this cook, I would try to let my temp raise and settle in small increments. Eventually hitting something around 300-325. At that temp, go ahead and throw on a steak. Flip it like maybe every 2 minutes. Use an instant read thermometer to check it and pull it at about 100 degrees. Wrap your steak in foil and set it aside.Open your vents and let your temp rise to say 450-500. Unwrap you steak, check the temp, and then put it on the grill. I like mine medium rare so I would let it go about 45 sec to a minute on each side,  flipping it like a hot potato, until you get it to 118 -  120. Then pull it and let it rest 15 mins. If you like your steaks more done, just keep it on the grill longer, but understand that your steaks internal temp will continue to rise after you take it off the grill. Along the way, in this cook, you can always throw a couple of foil wrapped potatoes or a pan of potatoes, veggies, and onions, on your Egg as well. Remember enjoy yourself, and have fun. At the beginning of your learning curve, it is a good idea to keep cook notes so your remember what you want to do and want not to do on your next cook. Happy Cooking from a fellow EggHead.