So... My Mac Died Saturday: Long Live The New Mac

CentralTexBBQ

Quite a sinking feeling when you are working on music and suddenly the screen goes grey. I guess the call it the 'grey screen of death' for a reason! After rebooting, I noticed the background of the screen was alternating stripes of red and black. A few reboots and attempts at trouble-shooting later, it never reached the recovery screen or would boot to the desktop. Finally, I think I heard it whisper, "it's been a privilege" before it gave up it's ghost.

Anyway, it made for an interesting day trying to conduct our church service without a central component. And several hours later, I was able, grudgingly, to find a replacement. Now, I need to learn a new way of working since these hard drives are so ridiculously small without getting into even more ridiculous pricing. This 13" screen is also berry, berry tiny compared to my previous 17". 

Anyway, new MBP meet the KG forum. KG forum, meet the new MBP. Smiling to keep from crying. :-D

Welcome to CTXBBQ's new MBP (took me stupid long to realize what that was)!  I wish you both well in your future together....  one that will hopefully be long and prosperous.  

Sorry you had a complete failure at a critical time, but sounds like you got through it ok.  I've done that smiling to keep from crying thing a time or two.... it's a solid game plan.  :)

Hello from my 13" MBP to your 13" MBP, although at work I have a docking station and a 24" monitor... which just makes the 13" look even smaller. When you find something useful to do with the Touch Bar let me know! Oh, and there is heaps of space on my 500GB SSD (work pays for it).

Edited by AntinOz

2 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

Welcome to CTXBBQ's new MBP (took me stupid long to realize what that was)!  I wish you both well in your future together....  one that will hopefully be long and prosperous.  

Sorry you had a complete failure at a critical time, but sounds like you got through it ok.  I've done that smiling to keep from crying thing a time or two.... it's a solid game plan.  :)

LOL, my fault. Sorry for the Apple-speak! I'll do better. :)

2 hours ago, AntinOz said:

Hello from my 13" MBP to your 13" MBP, although at work I have a docking station and a 24" monitor... which just makes the 13" look even smaller. When you find something useful to do with the Touch Bar let me know! Oh, and there is heaps of space on my 500GB SSD (work pays for it).

I have Logic Pro, Final Cut X, dozens of 3rd party apps that work with Logic, a Windows partition for the accounting software. It's going to be a significant learning curve finding a way to work effectively with the myriad of USB-C to Firewire; USB-C to Thunderbolt, USB-C to HDMI, USB'C to USB 2.0 adapters that I'm going to need. Not to mention the additional external hard drives. Not really looking forward to this. It's already a nightmare.

The tough bar: I wasn't;t crazy about the idea when I watched the Keynote. But, seeing how others have integrated them into their workflow using the Pro Apps, I do think I'll be using them- eventually HAHA

Sorry to hear about you MBP dying. Both the 15" and 17" MBPS' from the 2010 - 2011 era had a history

of the video chips causing a failure. Apple has dropped support for units that old. There was an extended

repair period because of the problem but has expired about a year or two ago. The problem appeared to

be related to heat sinking of the discrete video chip. From what I've read, the new models require a boat

load of dongles and adapters and no way of doing any hardware upgrades. Bummer! Hope you had backup.

BTW, Hello from one of the last 2011 17" MBP's to a new 13" MBP. I' keeping my fingers crossed and watching

the temps on the chip, hoping that this unit will last a while longer.

There definitely was a shift in Apple toward the end of Steve Jobs tenure. I think he was the last holdout that made sure the professionals that used Mac were taken care of. The Macs were the best, fastest, hardest working computers out there. The Mac's were wonderfully made and the warranty actually took care of you and was worth every penny. (No, they have ridiculous deductibles). After the iPod, iPhone and now especially since the iWatch is their money maker, their attitude toward the hard core Mac user seems much more ambivalent at best. Until the 2018, the MBP's didn't even have the latest processors, let alone the actual ports needed to get work done.

However, you may be able to get them in a pretty rose gold!!! 

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 7:13 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

There definitely was a shift in Apple toward the end of Steve Jobs tenure. I think he was the last holdout that made sure the professionals that used Mac were taken care of. The Macs were the best, fastest, hardest working computers out there. The Mac's were wonderfully made and the warranty actually took care of you and was worth every penny. (No, they have ridiculous deductibles). After the iPod, iPhone and now especially since the iWatch is their money maker, their attitude toward the hard core Mac user seems much more ambivalent at best. Until the 2018, the MBP's didn't even have the latest processors, let alone the actual ports needed to get work done.

However, you may be able to get them in a pretty rose gold!!! 

:rofl:

First of all, I find it ridiculously hilarious that less than 24 hours after I posted this, Apple did in fact announce a new Macbook in... wait for it... rose gold. I can't tell you how much I miss Steve Jobs!!!!!! This preoccupation with making everything pretty instead of functional is a direct reflection on the loss of his leadership. Thinner doesn't matter if you have to buy 10 different adapters just to get serious work done. Now, on to the new thread!!!!

The New Mac Mini needed a much bolder redesign.  Tim Cook is too cautious at times. He doesn’t like rolling the dice like Jobs.  

I have a feeling Apple is looking to switch to using it’s own CPU, ergo the reason you’re not seeing as big a push on Intel.

It doesn’t help Intel has done little outside the Core i9, to move the architecture forward or to improve the efficiency of their chips over the past 6-years.    

4 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I agree 100%. If memory serves, the Mac mini used to sit right between the MBP and Mac for power. It's far from that of late though I haven't really seen the specs on the one announce in October.

We’re getting close to a switch to Apple manufactured CPU’s soon.  Especially if there’s another delay in the move to 10 nm CPU’s.  

The current batch of Intel CPU’s are running pretty, which is part of the reason of the new fan design in the Mac Mini.