Typically how long for grill to heat up?

just4fn

If I do a low and slow=250 degrees, I light the middle of the lump at one spot and wait for it to get to temp. This can take 45 minutes.  Is this typical or should I light it in more than one area?  When I want it hot,  I use a chimney starter and it takes maybe 30 to 45 minutes.  Is this typical with your wait times? 

I usually spend around 1.5 to 2 hours bringing it up to temp for low and slow. I've found with my Pit Boss anything much faster than that and it seems much harder to stabilize. For lighting a low and slow I use a cotton ball soaked in denatured alcohol. For a quick hot fire, sometimes I use a chimney and others I use a map gas torch and it takes about 30 minutes to get to temp.

I always light my Egg a full hour before I want to put food on it. Allowing your fire to develop from one lighter cube in the center IMO makes for a very stable, manageable, fire. I also do this little trick for times when we have people coming over and I want to put food on the grill when they get here. I light the grill an hour before the arrive but set the vents for 250, when they get here, I open the vents to where I set them for say 375 for a chicken cook. By the time we have said hello, poured glasses of wine, etc. The grill is ready for food. 

5 hours ago, Ballistic147 said:

I usually spend around 1.5 to 2 hours bringing it up to temp for low and slow. I've found with my Pit Boss anything much faster than that and it seems much harder to stabilize. For lighting a low and slow I use a cotton ball soaked in denatured alcohol. For a quick hot fire, sometimes I use a chimney and others I use a map gas torch and it takes about 30 minutes to get to temp.

Yep, I do exactly the same as you, including cotton balls in denatured alcohol! Works every time and building a small fire is worth the extra time for the control and stability.