I wanted to use the new JJ Torch for a month before posting an official review of the torch.  After 30 uses, the torch head hasn’t warped.  In that regard, it’s performing well.   

The narrow head Bezomatics have one major advantage over the JJ George.  Wind impact.  The wider torch head on the JJ George is more vulnerable to wind.  You have to play with the angle some windy days to prevent the flame from bending.  

A slightly more narrow mouth on the torch would make things easier on windy days.

Lighting times with most lump Charcoals is faster with the Torch versus the Looftlighter.

The KJ Big Block is exception.  The Looftlighter has a slight edge over the JJ George when lighting KJ Big Block Lump because of the blower.  KJ lump is hard to light in general.  The JJ George does a good job overall.  

We’ll have to see how the torch perform in the winter.  The Looftlighter takes more time to heat-up in temps below -15 Celsius.   We’ll have to see how much better the JJ George will handle the bitter winter cold. 

I also want to see if I can attach the cheaper camping cylinders.  The Benzomatic tanks are a bit costly.  It would be nice to use the cheaper camping cylinders.  

103C2A3F-69F8-4F1B-AD29-10B1B07CA4C2.jpeg

44937467-D957-4400-BF47-DDEBAE837283.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chris Topher said:

The camping cylinders should have the same connector as the Benzomatic cylinders, so you should be good-to-go! :good:

The volume of gas is the same too.  The purpose of the Benzomatic cylinder is a narrow form factor to squeeze into tight locations.

Hello, a late comer to this thread.

I just got my JJ George Torch and used it tonight. WOW! I love this thing. Sure I have been using my 'pistol' torch with both propane and MAPP, and it does the job. But this torch is AWESOME! My hand is not down in the heat of things, is comfortable to hold, and best; stays upright! The torch does not cut out from being inverted. Yeah, it's $38 at Amazon, but I worked for a living, and I deserve something to treat myself. I'm keeping all the hair on my hand and arm now. :good:

49 minutes ago, NVRider said:

Hello, a late comer to this thread.

I just got my JJ George Torch and used it tonight. WOW! I love this thing. Sure I have been using my 'pistol' torch with both propane and MAPP, and it does the job. But this torch is AWESOME! My hand is not down in the heat of things, is comfortable to hold, and best; stays upright! The torch does not cut out from being inverted. Yeah, it's $38 at Amazon, but I worked for a living, and I deserve something to treat myself. I'm keeping all the hair on my hand and arm now. :good:

It’s a good torch.  The only draw back I could find is having to store the JK torch inside the house during the winter months.  It freezes up at Temps below - 6 Celsius.

It’ll work in the cold.  You just can’t leave it out in the cold for extended periods of time.

The JJ George is really a small weed burner on a short stick. 

On 5/9/2019 at 4:44 PM, Charcoal Addict said:

It’ll work in the cold.  You just can’t leave it out in the cold for extended periods of time.

This is the sum of it. I had no issues whatsoever lighting my grill with this torch in -20F Alaskan weather this winter. But, it has to be stored inside. At the same time, an extension cord stored outside to power a looftlighter in those temps could snap in half unless I buy the high end arctic cords. 

My wife has ceded a small section of the pantry to house some BBQ items that don’t do well outside-the ThermoWorks thermometers, the cast iron, some nice utensils, the gloves that keep my fingers from falling off in the winter while grilling, a spritz bottle of ACV...it’s easy to keep the torch with that small stash of stuff. 

I manage well with an alcohol soaked cotton ball or 2 and a wooden match.  Sometimes my thoughts are that folks are taking the simplicity [and thus some of the fun] out of outdoor cooking with all these gizmos and gadgets.

To each his own I guess.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:23 PM, glenn3 said:

I manage well with an alcohol soaked cotton ball or 2 and a wooden match.  Sometimes my thoughts are that folks are taking the simplicity [and thus some of the fun] out of outdoor cooking with all these gizmos and gadgets.

To each his own I guess.

The JJ George is pretty inexpensive gadget.  It’s not a wallet breaker.  I’m usually in a rush to get the grill going to I can hit the gym after supper.  

I don’t have time to wait for cotton balls to light up.  The JJ George isn’t a necessary gadget; it’s a convenience tool that speed grill lighting. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, glenn3 said:

To each his own I guess.

Agree with CA on this.  I used the cotton balls in alcohol and still do for low and slows but the light time with a mapp torch vs. the cotton balls is dramatic.  FWIW, there is an adapter that connects a 5 gallon propane tank to the small tanks for the torch so you can refill them.  Propane is cheaper for the 5 gallon tanks so moving it to the smaller tanks is more cost effective, however, the consumption rate on the mapp torch is pretty low.

On 5/15/2019 at 4:56 AM, UTVol said:

Agree with CA on this.

I also concur. From torch light to lid close it takes me 2 minutes with the torch, and for less than 30 seconds of that time the torch is running. It’s just too easy, for not much money or gadget-ness. 

On 5/15/2019 at 4:56 AM, UTVol said:

the consumption rate on the mapp torch is pretty low.

Also concur. I’ve used mine for pretty regular cooking (1-4 times a week) for 9 months now. I’ve also used it for some weed burning in the backyard and for lighting the backyard fire pit (no more “one match fires” when I own a damn near flamethrower) as well as kitchen searing and creme brûlée-ing. I’ve yet to go through a single tall blue propane canister. Even if the cost per pound of propane is way out of whack, the consumption rate is so small the difference becomes negligible to me. 

For the record I’m using the tall blue propane canisters on mine, not actual mapp gas. 

14 hours ago, dirty6 said:

I also concur. From torch light to lid close it takes me 2 minutes with the torch, and for less than 30 seconds of that time the torch is running. It’s just too easy, for not much money or gadget-ness. 

Also concur. I’ve used mine for pretty regular cooking (1-4 times a week) for 9 months now. I’ve also used it for some weed burning in the backyard and for lighting the backyard fire pit (no more “one match fires” when I own a damn near flamethrower) as well as kitchen searing and creme brûlée-ing. I’ve yet to go through a single tall blue propane canister. Even if the cost per pound of propane is way out of whack, the consumption rate is so small the difference becomes negligible to me. 

For the record I’m using the tall blue propane canisters on mine, not actual mapp gas. 

You’ll go through one propane canister every 4-6 months depending how often you grill.   2-3 canisters will last you a year.