tbaby3333

Deflector plates

So am I the only one who kinda wraps his deflector plates on foil to help keep them clean when cooking? Well I wouldn't say wrap but I put foil on top of the deflector plates. For those who don't what do you use to keep them clean?

I've only used heat deflectors once and didn't cover them, as i had read that flipping them over between cooks keeps them clean.

I don't subscribe to this and personally, I will foil them to keep them clean as much as I can!

FWIW, I also wash the griddle clean and pull the KJ apart to clean thoroughly/vacuum ashes/etc. after every use..

No need to keep deflectors clean; the fire does it for you. Just install them so the dirty side's down, and keep the volume of drippings to a reasonable level. Drip pans are still your friend, and I consider them mandatory for anything really fatty (eg. packer brisket). Foil isn't robust enough to survive; the fire will "clean" the foil off the deflectors, too. 

Kamados are self cleaning if you respect them. 

Frank

The Kamado is self cleaning, if you run it hot enough.  I would rather not constantly burn off my heat deflectors, (it does work). 

Whichever way way you do it, having a cleaner how makes food taste better.  Don’t let things get rancid. 

I use a drip pan on the accessory rack just under the grate at top position for cooks that I know are going to have quite a bit of grease dripping (pork butts, load of chicken thighs.....).  I use a 14 in deep dish pizza pan, and wrap in foil so I don't really have to clean.  

On 10/25/2018 at 11:22 PM, allitnils said:

I've only used heat deflectors once and didn't cover them, as i had read that flipping them over between cooks keeps them clean.

I don't subscribe to this and personally, I will foil them to keep them clean as much as I can!

FWIW, I also wash the griddle clean and pull the KJ apart to clean thoroughly/vacuum ashes/etc. after every use..

well that is not excessive at all 

I don't wrap my deflectors but I could see where someone would cover them with something like a pizza pan if they really were hung up on keeping them clean :-D

11 hours ago, bbqboss84601 said:

I have never wrapped my deflectors and have never had an issue. I give them a little scrape when I am done cooking and flip the next cook. 

I also don't wrap my deflectors. While I don't flip them every cook, I will flip them when they are looking particularly dirty on top. I also rotate my deflectors. Most of my cooks are done with only one deflector in.

I just just a cheap pizza pan what I wrap in foil.   When the cook is over the next day I take out pan and toss the foil.  Everything stays clean, which I like, but as many have stated it’s not a mush to wrap or keep them clean....only if you have CDO like I do.  I do not like the letters out of order in ocd.   Just saying