pesto3

Beef back ribs

4 hours ago, Pigfqr said:

Those look great!  I am having trouble finding them.  Should I ask for beef back ribs?

Get the whole beef chuck short ribs. They usually come cryovac and are different from beef back ribs.

Like the ones the OP cooked. You will have to cut them into individual ribs but no biggie. Or the butcher will do it for you. I get them at my local BJs. Two racks per package. Usually around $3.99 to $ 4.29 a pound. 

Beef back ribs in my opinion don't have enough meat on them. I like the Chuck short ribs better. 

8 hours ago, Pigfqr said:

Those look great!  I am having trouble finding them.  Should I ask for beef back ribs?

Hi mate, if you want really meaty ribs, ask for Beef short ribs. They have the most meat on them. They are like the St Louis cut of beef. Beef back ribs come from the upper part of the rib, where the loin is. So they are baby backs. 

Back ribs are great for quick cooks and also aren’t as strong in flavour as the short ribs (I find anyway)

This pic is of the shorties. 

10C341EB-DA0B-4EAD-A432-C992464A2AD7.thumb.jpeg.e1216284294e0cd750aa1d95a343fbcc.jpeg

3 hours ago, landscaper said:

Get the whole beef chuck short ribs. They usually come cryovac and are different from beef back ribs.

Like the ones the OP cooked. You will have to cut them into individual ribs but no biggie. Or the butcher will do it for you. I get them at my local BJs. Two racks per package. Usually around $3.99 to $ 4.29 a pound. 

Beef back ribs in my opinion don't have enough meat on them. I like the Chuck short ribs better. 

Yeah, the back ribs are a lot leaner in the meat area. We do soooo many shorties here that it’s a nice change to do the back ribs. Also, we have so many kids.....it’s a lot cheaper, lmao !

25 minutes ago, pesto3 said:

I’m in Australia mate. These ribs are just in our local grocery store. Pre packed. Bloody good stuff!

Very jealous. Around here there is a $6/lb difference between a back rib and a rib-eye steak, so they're cut as close to the bone as possible to maximize profit. If I call my local butcher ahead of time, he'll sometimes leave a little more on there, but never that much.

1 minute ago, MD_Ag said:

Very jealous. Around here there is a $6/lb difference between a back rib and a rib-eye steak, so they're cut as close to the bone as possible to maximize profit. If I call my local butcher ahead of time, he'll sometimes leave a little more on there, but never that much.

That suuuuucks!! I was be so annoyed if I couldn’t get decent ribs!!

9 hours ago, MD_Ag said:

Where the heck did you find a butcher who leaves that much money on the bones?!

No kidding. If I could find back ribs with that much meat, I'd never buy any other kind. Lucky Aussies...