So I just plopped down $6,200 for a cool camper - now I need accessories -

I have the JR but after thinking about it, even the JR is a bit too big and bulky to haul around...

Anyone seen a Kamado that is smaller, less heavy, easier to manage than the JR ?..

2 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

So I just plopped down $6,200 for a cool camper - now I need accessories -

I have the JR but after thinking about it, even the JR is a bit too big and bulky to haul around...

Anyone seen a Kamado that is smaller, less heavy, easier to manage than the JR ?..

What Kamado Jr are you talking about. The Akorn Jr is basically the same size as the KJ Jr just a good bit lighter so transporting is easier. The BGE small is smaller but almost unusable. Too small limits your potential. 

Personally I'm a big fan of the Primo Oval Jr with go cradle. A bit bigger but easy enough to transport/move around (with 2 people). It's also big enough to cook a large butt or md brisket. Pretty much anything you can imagine for 2 people. With that said it's not cheap, let your wallet be warned. 

I'm in the same situation.  Have a nice camper, and looking for kamado.  Looking at the Akorn Jr, just for portability.  However, If we hit the campground lottery here and get a nice seasonal site - I'll likely take the weber kettle peformer 22in, an 14" WSM. 

i don't get these posts that say the BGE mini is too small. I manage meals for 3 entirely cooked on the kamado quite frequently. Camping it is heavy and takes forever to cool. THAT would be my reason for hunting down an Akorn. Lighter and easier to cool down.

I agree that anything BGE screams of weight and fragile. Going to look at one to get an idea on size, I need something small
enough to travel with - I'm the only meat eater so cook-space isn't an issue.

The Akorn Jr. still weighs 40 pounds.  I have a couple Junior sized kamados (KJ, Primo, Akorn) and when I travel I take a Weber Jumbo Joe.  I picked it up at an end of year sale for about $40.  It weighs about 20 lbs, has an 18" grill surface, and is much more tolerant of bumps and bruises that come with traveling.

Google mini WSM, unless of course you're set on a Kamado style grill.

Folks use a Smokey Joe and tamale pot to make a cool looking little smoker that reportedly puts out great results.

Love my Joe Jr. but don't know if I'd want to travel with it.

Goldens does make a 14" mini cooker, solves the "not ceramic" issue,  but at over 100 lbs it's not lightweight.

There were some recent postings in other forums on a Humphreys BBQ Sear Station which might fit your needs.  It's not a Kamado, but is lightweight at 30 lbs. Check out their website. 

Other than that, one of the portable Weber grills would be worth looking into,  either a Smokey Joe or a Go Anywhere.