Chasdev

Brisket; smoke first or after S/V?

I'm trying to achieve (as close as possible anyway) the smoke profile I used to get on my offset stick burner but of course I don't want to tend the fire for 8+ hours anymore.

Been reading testimony's on line about pre and post smoke methods, so which works best?

I want to half S/V and half smoke hot and fast.

I would set the grill for as low a temp as you can hold, wet the brisket down good and put it on the grill for about 3hrs. Pull it off vac seal it and cook at whatever temp you want for as long as you want. Pull it when you are happy and then dry it off well, then do a quick sear, either very high temp on the grill, or with something like a Serzall. You don't have to worry about resting Sous Vide cooks, it's not necessary, so jut slice and serve.

Okay, thanks!

Now comes how long to S/V after three hours of smoke and at what temp?

Smoke only I would shoot for around 200 internal, but of course after 8/12 hours at 225/250.

Internal temp has to be high enough to kill the bad bugs and time has to be long enough to make it super tender.

I would try 155° for about 30 hours, this should give you traditional texture and still be very moist and tender. If you want it more like medium steak, then due 140° for the same time. Personally, I don't like Sous Vide meat done for over 30 hrs, I think it changes the texture of the meat too much

Sorry to be so late with this.  I'm fairly new to the forum and am just scanning posts to gain kamado knowledge.  Once in a while I see a question where I have some experience.

I have combined my pellet smoker and SV a few times.  The best way for our taste–

• Season the brisket with your favorite rub.*
  • Smoke the brisket at 200°-225°F until the internal temperature is 145°F (5-6 hours).
  • SV the smoked brisket at 155°F for 36 hours.

* Just salt and pepper works well.  I don't think complex rubs SV well.  Some flavors seem to disappear while others grow.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, bbqd said:

If you want smoke to penetrate the brisket, you need to smoke it first. 

Bbqd, although I agree that Chasdev should smoke the brisket first, I respectfully disagree with what I believe is your reasoning.  Smoke doesn’t penetrate meat much at all.  Smoke rings are thick but the flavoring chemicals and solids in wood smoke will, for the most part, sit on the brisket’s surface.  Smoke won’t penetrate 3 mm and even smoke rings (no flavor component) are no more than 9.5 mm thick.  Here’s a way to check that—use a cookie cutter or such to get a meat core from the interior of a smoked prime rib or other roast.  You won’t taste smoke.

Also, the brisket’s temperature after SV won’t have an effect on the smoke flavor that the brisket accepts.  Smoke doesn't adhere well to a dry surface, but spritzing has proven to be a way to dampen meat surfaces and extend smoke flavoring time.  The brisket will be moist enough after SV and a periodic spritz will help.

Edited by pmillen